This Hashbrown Sausage Breakfast Pie is filled to the top with breakfast sausage, hashbrowns, 2 cheeses, garlic and a special topping!
Breakfast happens to be my favorite meal of the day, in fact I could eat it for every single meal! There are so many options like these Ham and Egg Breakfast Cups, Breakfast Enchiladas <– my husband loves these!, or this Triple Berry French Toast Casserole.
This hashbrown sausage breakfast pie is a variation from this Sausage Hasbrown Breakfast Casserole. I made a few changes to the ingredients and just mixed everything together. But then I added a special topping- ritz crackers. I was going through my pantry and the crackers just kept catching my eye, so I thought why not. They gave a little something extra to the pie without making it complicated, because breakfast shouldn’t be complicated!
This breakfast pie bakes up moist, buttery and has a slight crunch from the crackers, mmmmmm! This would be perfect for Christmas morning or any lazy weekend morning! This will feed 4 really hungry adults or 6 if you pair it with some fruit or other breakfast treat.
My husband likes to eat it with a couple of fried eggs on top because that’s how he rolls. Fried eggs on EVERYTHING!! Leftover mashed potatoes become tomorrow morning’s breakfast with a couple of fried eggs. Even mac and cheese gets his signature touch and the kiddos love it as well. Me on the other hand, as you know, am not the biggest egg person so I usually, ok always, pass on this extra “topping”. 🙂
Oh, in other news, I got a new range and couldn’t be happier! My other one has been giving me a lot of trouble over the past few months and we have fixed it a couple of times but it just wasn’t cooking anything right. It took waaaay to long to pre-heat, as in I would pre-heat it before starting my recipe and by the time I was ready to put it into the oven I still had to wait for it to finish pre-heating. It also was taking longer and longer to cook things plus a couple of other things that started to give out.
So, we decided it was time to give in and get a new one. All I can say is, what a difference!!! I have to retrain myself not to pre-heat before starting my recipe because I’m not even close to putting it in the oven when it has finished pre-heating. It boils so much quicker, bakes so much nicer and well it also looks a lot prettier! It was an early Christmas present to me. 🙂
Yields 4-6 servings
30 minPrep Time
1 hrCook Time
1 hr, 30 Total Time
- 1/2 pound breakfast sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 1/2 cups frozen hashbrowns
- 5 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1/3 cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 15 ritz crackers, crushed
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a deep dish pie plate and set aside.
- In a large skillet brown the breakfast sausage with the onion until no longer pink. Drain any extra grease, if necessary. Add in the spinach and garlic and give it a few stirs to wilt the spinach slightly. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl combine the hashbrowns, eggs, cheddar, cottage cheese, milk salt and pepper. Add in the sausage mixture and mix well. Spoon into prepared pie plate.
- In a small bowl combine the crushed crackers with the melted butter. Spread over the top of the pie and bake for 60 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.