Homemade Hamburger Helper -just as quick and easy as the boxed stuff, but tastes way better!
Main Dish, Pasta
easy hamburger helper, hamburger helper, healthier hamburger helper
Calories: 479 kcal
lean ground beef
to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
salt and pepper to taste
elbow macaroni, uncooked
can tomato sauce
shredded cheddar cheese
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Brown the ground beef, onion, paprika, parsley, garlic powder, cayenne powder, salt and pepper. If using a ground beef with a higher fat content add in the seasonings after draining the grease.
Stir in the milk, broth, macaroni and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 10-12 minutes or until pasta is tender. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
Stir in cheddar cheese until melted.
- If using a whole wheat elbow pasta you may need to add in more liquid while cooking.
- This recipe is for elbow pasta if using another type of pasta you may need to adjust liquids.
- It is important to drain extra liquids after browning the ground beef.
What to serve with this Homemade Hamburger Helper:
- Steamed vegetable of choice
- Simple side salad
- Fresh fruit of choice
- Or buttered bread
Homemade Hamburger Helper
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 171
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 10g63%
Vitamin A 640IU13%
Vitamin C 1.3mg2%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.