Homemade Hamburger Helper that is just as easy as the boxed stuff, but tastes way better and is way better for you!
Homemade Hamburger Helper
This is probably one of my kids most favorite meals. I mean they could eat this for breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner.
Along with pancakes, pizza and pb&j. My kids are normal right??
I have never been a fan of the boxed stuff, it’s too salty and it’s full of ingredients I didn’t even know existed.
I hate buying things that have an ingredient list full of unpronounceables (is that even a word???).
Honestly, this homemade version is easy and it’s quick. Sure you may have to open a few extra things or chop a few extra veggies.
But I’m telling ya it is so worth it!
It takes 25-30 minutes to make this so it’s a great weeknight meal. Add a tossed salad or some steamed veggies and you have a well rounded meal.
Have picky eaters that need to eat more vegetables?
Chop some zucchini up really small and add to the hamburger helper. Or add in some frozen peas, finely chopped carrot, whatever you have on hand that you need to disguise.
I do this all the time with my kids and they hardly notice, especially if the veggies are the same color as the rest of the dish.
Complete camouflage and I love it!!
Ingredients for Homemade Hamburger Helper
- Ground beef
- Spices: paprika, parsley, garlic powder, cayenne pepper
- Beef broth
- Elbow macaroni (and substitute in a similar pasta)
- Tomato sauce
- Cheddar cheese (I like to use sharp cheddar)
What to serve with Homemade Hamburger Helper
- Simple side salad
- Bread and butter
- Buttermilk Biscuits
- Simple Roasted Green Beans
- or this Creamy Key Lime Fruit Salad
My husband even loves this homemade hamburger helper!! I love that I can sneak in some vegetables for him to eat as well.
Shhhh, don’t tell him! 😉 So, if you are in need of some dinner inspo…. you must give this recipe a try. It’s quick, it’s easy, and it’s a one-pot meal…..it doesn’t get much better than that!!
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 1 (8oz) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Brown the ground beef, onion, paprika, parsley, garlic powder, cayenne powder, salt and pepper. If using a ground beef with a higher fat content add in the seasonings after draining the grease.
- Stir in the milk, broth, macaroni and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 10-12 minutes or until pasta is tender. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Stir in cheddar cheese until melted.
- If using a whole wheat elbow pasta you may need to add in more liquid while cooking.
- This recipe is for elbow pasta if using another type of pasta you may need to adjust liquids.
- It is important to drain extra liquids after browning the ground beef.
What to serve with this Homemade Hamburger Helper:
- Steamed vegetable of choice
- Simple side salad
- Fresh fruit of choice
- Or buttered bread