This easy Slow Cooker Shredded Mexican Chicken is a great base recipe to use for tacos, enchiladas, nachos, burritos, salads or just serve it over rice.
Chicken, Main, Slow Cooker
mexican shredded chicken, shredded chicken, shredded mexican chicken
Servings: 6 + servings
Calories: 118 kcal
large boneless skinless chicken breasts
small onion, chopped
cloves garlic, minced
of your favorite salsa
(4 oz) (113g)
can diced green chilies
salt and pepper to taste
Place chicken breasts in the bottom of your slow cooker. Top with all of the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours. I don't recommend cooking this on high or for longer than 6 hours as the chicken can overcook and become dry or mushy.
You may remove the chicken from the crock pot or leave it in and shred it in there. Use as much or as little juice as you desire. I like to use all of the juice and cook the shredded chicken in the juice for about 15-20 minutes so it can soak up more flavor. If there is a lot of liquid drain some off.
Serve or use as desired.
- The onion powder and garlic powder are optional but add more flavor.
- This is freezer friendly. Freeze in a freezer bag or freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight and use as desired.
This Mexican Shredded Chicken is great for:
- Tacos: serve in hard or soft shells, corn or flour and top with all your favorite toppings. We like soft shells the best and we like both flour and corn. We usually top this with avocado, tomato, shredded lettuce, shredded cheddar and sour cream. But pico de gallo and guacamole would be great too.
- Enchiladas: this is a great base for enchilada recipes because there is so much flavor going on with the meat. Just toss with your favorite brand of enchilada sauce and you are ready to assemble your fabulous enchiladas!
- Burritos, Taco soup, Enchilada soup and it's great in quesadillas!! I feel quesadillas are my life saver sometimes!! I love it when I have some of this meat leftover in the fridge when I don't know what to make for supper. Sometimes I will even add a can of pinto, black or refried beans to the chicken if I need to stretch it a little further. Then just add to some tortillas and toast until golden in a skillet. We top these like we do our tacos.
- You can also serve this over plain white or brown rice or better yet cilantro lime rice or Spanish rice. So good and so many options!!
Slow Cooker Shredded Mexican Chicken
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 18
% Daily Value*
Vitamin A 625IU13%
Vitamin C 3.6mg4%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Since different brands of ingredients have different nutritional information, the information shown is just an estimate.