This easy Slow Cooker Shredded Mexican Chicken is a great base recipe to use for tacos, enchiladas, nachos, burritos, salads or just serve it over rice.
This Slow Cooker Shredded Mexican Chicken is one of those recipes you just need in your life. It has all sorts of uses and the sky is the limit! It is super easy to make because we are using the help from our handy dandy crock pot!! Just dump everything in, walk away and you will come back to juicy, tender chicken waiting to be shredded and used for all kinds of recipes!
I just shred the chicken right in the crock pot even because I don’t like to dirty extra dishes! 🙂 But feel free to take it out to shred it and use as much or little of the liquid as you desire. I use all of the liquid because I want the chicken to soak up all that flavor after I shred it. And it just helps to make the chicken extra juicy which is never a bad thing in my opinion!
This slow cooker shredded mexican chicken has all sorts of uses.
- Tacos: serve in hard or soft shells, corn or flour and top with all your favorite toppings. We like soft shells the best and we like both flour and corn. We usually top this with avocado, tomato, shredded lettuce, shredded cheddar and sour cream. But pico de gallo and guacamole would be great too.
- Enchiladas: this is a great base for enchilada recipes because there is so much flavor going on with the meat. Just toss with your favorite brand of enchilada sauce and you are ready to assemble your fabulous enchiladas!
- Burritos, Taco soup, Enchilada soup and it’s great in quesadillas!! I feel quesadillas are my life saver sometimes!! I love it when I have some of this meat leftover in the fridge when I don’t know what to make for supper. Sometimes I will even add a can of pinto, black or refried beans to the chicken if I need to stretch it a little further. Then just add to some tortillas and toast until golden in a skillet. We top these like we do our tacos.
- You can also serve this over plain white or brown rice or better yet cilantro lime rice or spanish/mexican rice. So good and so many options!!
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup of your favorite salsa
- 1 4 oz can diced green chilies
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
Place chicken breasts in the bottom of your slow cooker. Top with all of the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours. I don't recommend cooking this on high or for longer than 6 hours as the chicken can overcook and become dry or mushy.
You may remove the chicken from the crock pot or leave it in and shred it in there. Use as much or as little juice as you desire. I like to use all of the juice and cook the shredded chicken in the juice for about 15-20 minutes so it can soak up more flavor. If there is a lot of liquid drain some off.
Serve or use as desired.