These tasty Sausages and Apples are a quick one pot meal. A mix of sweet and savory that is perfect for the upcoming cool fall nights.
Boy, it sure doesn’t feel like fall yet. We are still reaching the mid and upper 90s daily!!! Everyone keeps saying that summer went by so quick but I can’t help but think it just keeps hanging on!!
I am ready for the days to get a little cooler, for sure. The only thing that is feeling like fall is the days are definitely getting shorter! I guess I better get the most of these warmer days because I’m sure I will soon be complaining about how cold it is! 🙂
Now these Sausages and Apples were thought of by my grandma. She came out to stay with us a few weeks ago, which was so wonderful!! I love it when she comes out! The kids love it too and I feel a little bad because I think in a 24 hour time span she spends 10 of it reading to the them. They just love being read too and unfortunately I can’t devote that kind of time to reading! So, they get caught up when grandma comes to visit!
Now, back to how this recipe came about. I was thinking one night about different things I ate as a child and sausages and apples were one of them. So, I had mentioned it to my grandma while she was out here that I remembered eating it and wondered what kind of sausage she used. She normally used breakfast sausage but she said brats or other sausages would be good as well.
Instantly my mouth started watering at the sound of brats. I don’t know why (I blame it on the pregnancy, it can do weird things to a person). So I had to try it out. It was wonderful! I like this meal for its simplicity and how quickly it can come together. It only uses 4 ingredients, not including salt, pepper or water. Round this meal out with some green veggies and a hunk of crusty french bread and you have yourself a wonderfully rustic and tasty fall supper!
Sausages and Apples
- 5 beer brats or other sausages of choice
- 2 large apples cut into 1/4-1/2" slices (I used Fuji)
- 1 medium red onion thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- In a large skillet cook sausages over medium low heat until browned about 15 minutes. Remove from skillet.
- Add in apples, onions and water to skillet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Nestle sausages on top of apples and onions and drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until sausages are fully cooked.