This easy Overnight Apple French Toast Bake is layered with apples, topped with a streusel topping and baked in a cinnamon spiced custard. What could be better than waking up to this beauty!!
Well, guys school has started this week and my kids couldn’t be happier!! It was soooo cute seeing how proud my son was that he gets to go to kindergarten and be around some BOYS! Remember we are a house full of girls so being around some boys is a big deal for him.
This year his class is full of boys, just what he needs! I feel so sorry for his teacher! Well, I don’t think it will be to bad for her, it’s a pretty good group of boys.
I am also very happy school started! I can get my house back in order and a routine going again!
The only thing I sort of forgot about is I actually need to get dressed and look somewhat presentable to take my kids to school.
You know like actually brushing my hair and my teeth! Wearing something other than pjs all day would also be more appropriate. Just upgrading from the basics here, folks. I’m not wearing the latest fashions or putting on make up, that would take way to long. Plus, I need to stay comfy to accommodate my growing baby belly. Good excuse, right!?
So, anyway on to this wonderful breakfast! I wanted to do something a little different than your usual french toast bake. I thought instead of cubing the bread I would just leave it in slices and layer in sliced apples. I thought this made for better presentation and speedier prep. 🙂
I went a little farther and topped it with a streusel topping. This, I thought, made this overnight apple french toast bake extra special! Special enough to serve to your extra special guests. Whoa there, a little too many specials, huh? How about special enough to serve to your beautiful family.
Overnight Apple French Toast Bake
- 1 loaf plain whole wheat or multi grain french bread, cut into 1/2" slices
- 2 large apples sliced 1/4" thick
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups 1/2 & 1/2
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground clove
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Lightly grease a 9x13 baking pan. Alternate sliced bread and apples in greased baking pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the eggs, 1/2 & 1/2, honey, vanilla, cinnamon, clove and ginger. Pour over bread and apples. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Or you may bake immediately.
- If removing from the refrigerator do so 30 minutes prior to baking.
- To make the topping combine ingredients in a small bowl and cut in the butter until well combined. Sprinkle over the top of the bread and apples. Bake at 350 degrees F covered for 30 minutes and uncovered for 30 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.