Strawberry Shortcake Trifle Cups are an easy and delicious light dessert and since they are in individual cups they are perfect for upcoming summer barbecues!
With spring now upon us and summer around the corner I couldn’t resist posting a strawberry recipe! I love these dessert cups because:
- They look so pretty with all those layers
- They are fun to eat (I mean who wouldn’t want their own individual dessert cup)
- They are quick and easy to make and
- They are perfect for warm days when you don’t want a heavy dessert, just something light.
And the extra good news is I made them a little lighter by using angel food cake. (That way you can have 2 cups 🙂 you’re welcome) But if you prefer regular shortcake feel free to sub that in (it will be equally as good).
So a little about this recipe. You will only need a handful of ingredients to make these- strawberries, angel food cake, an orange, powdered sugar, whipping cream and vanilla.
Start off by cleaning your strawberries and quartering them. Zest your orange and reserve to put with the whipped cream, it makes it extra special, trust me. Squeeze your orange over the strawberries and lightly toss, then set aside to let the magic begin.
I’m using the orange juice to help macerate the strawberries instead of sugar (saving a few calories there! 🙂 ) Next cube your angel food cake into small bite sized pieces.
Now for the whipped cream. This is made extra special by adding in some orange zest. It’s probably my new favorite way to eat whipped cream. Also, if you’re in a rush feel free to use whipped topping from the store and just stir in some zest (you will need about 4 cups of whipped topping, aka cool whip). I highly recommend making freshly whipped cream but I use shortcuts too so judging here.
Ready for the assembly- layer in individual cups then top with a halved strawberry and I garnished with a mint leaf but that is totally optional. Then comes the best part–time for dessert!
- 2 pounds strawberries
- 1 orange
- 1 (11 oz) angel food loaf
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 10 (9 oz) clear plastic cups
- Mint leaves for garnish optional
- STRAWBERRIES: Wash and cut your strawberries into quarters (reserve a few strawberries to cut in half for garnish if desired). Place in a medium sized bowl. Zest the orange and reserve for later, you will need about 1 1/2 teaspoons of zest. Juice the orange and add to the strawberries. Gently toss the strawberries and orange juice, set aside.
- WHIPPED CREAM: In a large bowl whip the cream, powdered sugar and vanilla together just until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in the reserved 1 1/2 teaspoons of orange zest, set aside. Cube the angel food in to small bite sized pieces.
- ASSEMBLY: First gently toss the strawberries in the juice one more time. Now, place a small amount of angel food in the bottom of a cup. Top with a few strawberries (don't be afraid to get some of the orange juice in there as well) then whipped cream. Repeat layers one more time. Repeat for remaining cups. Top with a strawberry half and mint leaf if desired. Refrigerate until ready to serve.