This Italian Grilled Cheese Sandwich is filled to the max with melty gooey Provolone cheese! It is super easy and quick to make making it perfect for lunch or even a weeknight dinner!
Save it for later and PIN IT
This Italian grilled cheese sandwich has been a long time favorite of mine! I’ve been eating these sandwiches since I was a little girl. My grandma would make them for us and serve it with warmed spaghetti sauce! Now I make them for my family and serve them with this homemade pizza sauce.
I don’t mind either because they are super simple to make and anything filled with ooey, gooey cheese is a winner in my books! 🙂
So, a little off subject…..how many of you got snow overnight???? We did and it’s so crazy!! It was beautiful weather just a week ago and now it’s cold and yucky outside!! Why, Mother Nature, why?!?! Why must you tease us with the nice warm springlike (almost summer) weather then BAM, hit us with a snow storm? It’s cruel torture if you ask me!
But anyway back to these sandwiches…..you must make them! I’m telling you guys they will become one of your favorites too!!
I mean what’s not to like about a golden crispy crust flavored with Italian bread crumbs, super gooey and stretchy Provolone cheese all sandwiched between irresistible french bread?????? Now, take that nice warm cheese filled sandwich and dip it into some spaghetti sauce or homemade pizza sauce and friends, it just doesn’t get much better than that!!
- 1 14" loaf french bread
- 20 slices Provolone cheese
- 2/3 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- Oil for frying
- Spaghetti or pizza sauce for dipping
- Cut the very ends off of the french bread. Then cut the loaf into 3/4" slices, set aside.
- In a shallow dish combine the seasoned bread crumbs, Italian seasoning and garlic powder. In a separate shallow dish combine the eggs and milk.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium low heat with a thin layer of oil in the pan. Place 2 slices of cheese between 2 slices of bread then dip each side of the sandwich in the egg and then in the seasoned bread crumbs. Fry in skillet for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and the cheese has melted. Serve warm with spaghetti sauce or homemade pizza sauce.
I like to keep the sandwiches warm in a 170 degree oven while I finish cooking all of the sandwiches. This will also help to finish melting the cheese if your sandwich is already golden but the cheese hasn't melted completely.
These are best served shortly after cooking.