Every spoonful of this Dark Chocolate Pudding is bursting with intense chocolate flavor that will leave you craving more. You can elevate this classic dessert by topping it off with a variety of scrumptious add-ons, such as fresh fruits, delicate chocolate curls, crunchy cookie crumbles, or a dollop of freshly whipped cream. Perfect for satisfying your sweet tooth or impressing your family and friends!
Move over boxed pudding mix because this Dark Chocolate Pudding is SO much better! It’s rich and the perfect dessert for putting a smile on anyone’s face!
Why Should I Make Homemade Chocolate Pudding?
- First of all, it has more chocolate flavor!
- It’s smooth, creamy, and remarkably easy to make.
- It can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days!
- It’s great for kid’s lunches too!
- It can be dressed up with fresh fruit, crushed Oreos, whipped topping, and so many other options!
Ingredients for Dark Chocolate Pudding:
The ingredient list is very straight forward and uses simple and easy to find ingredients.
MILK: Please only use whole milk for this pudding! You can also use half and half for an even richer and creamier texture. Using anything less than whole milk will not result in smooth and creamy pudding.
BITTERSWEET CHOCOLATE and COCOA POWDER: Adds so much chocolate flavor!
EGGS and ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR: Used to thicken the pudding. I don’t like using cornstarch because every time it turns into soup the next day. If you would rather use cornstarch, use 3 tablespoons instead of the flour. Or omit the flour and add a couple of extra yolks. It won’t be quite as thick.
BUTTER: Makes the pudding silky and smooth.
How To Make Dark Chocolate Pudding:
STEP 1: Combine sugar, flour, cocoa powder, and salt in a medium saucepan. Stir in the milk and egg yolks until well combined.
STEP 2: Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickens. Remove from heat and stir in the butter and chopped chocolate. Stir in vanilla.
STEP 3: Pour into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours.
This chocolate pudding can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Perfect for making ahead and having ready for any night of the week!
It won’t be as thick, but you can certainly omit it. I would add another egg yolk or two if you would like to try this.
No worries!! If your pudding gets lumps, just push it through a fine mesh strainer.
- This is a great dessert to serve on its own!
- Topped with fresh fruit such as raspberries, strawberries, or any other fruit that pairs well with chocolate.
- Topped with freshly whipped cream, a dollop of mascarpone, or whipped ricotta cheese.
- Crushed cookies, such as chocolate chip cookies or Oreos.
- Use this chocolate pudding to make a decadent trifle.
Dark Chocolate Pudding
- ½ cup (105g) sugar
- ¼ cup (35g) all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- 3 cups (710ml) whole milk
- 3 large egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 ounces (170g) bittersweet chocolate; chopped (at least 60%)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Whisk sugar, flour, cocoa, and salt together in a medium saucepan. Whisk in milk and egg yolks until incorporated, making sure to scrape corners of saucepan.
- Place saucepan over medium heat and cook, whisking constantly until mixture is thickened and bubbling over the entire surface (about 7 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in the butter and chopped chocolate until fully melted. Whisk in the vanilla.
- Pour into a bowl and press parchment paper or plastic wrap against the surface of the pudding to prevent a film from forming. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- STORAGE: Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.