Savory Ham and Cheese Scones are easy to make and perfect for breakfast, snack time, or with a steaming bowl of soup! This savory scone recipe is filled with tender breading, cheddar cheese, ham, and green onions.
Savory Scone Recipe
I have fallen in love with these ham and cheddar scones! Typically, I think of sweets when I hear the word scone, but I have seen versions of savory scone recipes floating around the internet for a long time and have been wanting to make them forever!
I finally did and I am pretty sure they will be replacing the sweet scones, at least for now! These cheddar scones would make a great brunch addition or even pair well with a bowl of piping hot soup. I am thinking chicken and noodles, chicken and rice, or even some sort of cheesy soup like beer cheese! Oooooh, that sounds lovely!
Why You’ll Love Ham and Cheese Scones
- The best savory scone recipe
- Tender and delicious
- Perfect for breakfast, brunch, and holidays
- Kid approved
- Basic ingredients
Cheese Scones Ingredients
- Flour – I recommend all purpose flour so the cheese scones are the right texture.
- Baking powder & baking soda – You need the combination of both so the cheddar scones rise properly.
- Sugar – Don’t worry, it’s just a little bit of sugar. It helps balance the savory flavors and you won’t even notice it.
- Salt – Just a dash is all you need!
- Butter – The key is to use cold butter when making this savory scone recipe.
- Cheese – We use cheddar cheese, but you could exchange it for any other good melting cheese that you like.
- Ham – Chop it up pretty fine so it’s easier to eat. Use leftover ham or deli meat!
- Green onions – They add the perfect flavor to this savory scone recipe. If you don’t like them, you can omit them or swap them for chives.
- Buttermilk – In order to get the perfect biscuit texture, buttermilk is your best friend!
Cheese Scones Directions
MAKE THE DOUGH: Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Combine the all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Cut in the butter until you have coarse crumbs. Mix in the cheese, green onions, and ham. Stir in buttermilk.
CUT THE SCONES: Place the dough onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Form into a circle and cut into 8 wedges.
BAKE: Brush each savory scone with buttermilk. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until they are golden brown. Cool and serve.
Frequently Asked Questions
These cheddar scones last up to 5 days in the fridge. Keep them airtight!
You can use cooked bacon, turkey, or sausage! Just make sure that you drain the grease off the sausage before using it.
Sure! You can add some vegetables to this savory scone recipe. Peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms, or onions are all great options.
No, it’s not required! I like to add buttermilk to my ham and cheese scones because it gives them a lovely golden brown color. You can skip it, but they won’t look the same.
Ham and Cheddar Scones
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder yes, 1 tablespoon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter cut into small pieces
- 2/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup finely chopped ham
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 1 cup buttermilk + extra for brushing the tops if desired
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt. Cut in the butter until you have coarse crumbs. Stir in the cheese, ham and green onions. Stir in the buttermilk just until combined.
- Transfer dough to parchment lined baking sheet and shape into an 8″ circle. Cut into 8 wedges. Brush each with additional buttermilk if desired. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool slightly before re-cutting into wedges.