Craving a big comforting bowl of chicken noodle soup? This Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe is just what you need! It’s easy to make and packed with flavor. Thanks to the Instant Pot, this soup is ready to devour in no time!
Not sure what to use your Instant Pot for, other than hard-boiled eggs? Try this easy and delicious Chicken Noodle Soup recipe. The whole family is guaranteed to love it and afterall, what is more heartwarming than a big bowl of chicken noodle soup?
Say goodbye to spending all day making soup on the stovetop. This Instant Pot version saves SO MUCH time! A few other easy soup recipes I have been loving are: Easy Taco Soup, 30 Minute White Chicken Chili, and Creamy Cajun Potato Soup.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS INSTANT POT CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP:
- It couldn’t be easier to make, thanks to the Instant Pot!
- All you need are a few basic ingredients to make this delicious soup: olive oil, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, chicken, low sodium chicken stock/broth, water, egg noodles, fresh parsley and fresh rosemary.
- This chicken noodle soup is perfect for meal prep! Make it ahead of time and enjoy all week long.
- You can freeze this soup to enjoy later! Store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Mirepoix – just a fancy name for finely diced onion, celery and carrots. Mirepoix is key for achieving the iconic chicken noodle soup flavor.
- A whole chicken – use a whole chicken for this soup recipe because the various cuts of meat with the bones and skin add a depth of flavor! The bones and skin also add a lot of nutrients to the soup.
- Low sodium chicken stock or broth – I typically go for low sodium broth because it gives me control over the amount of salt added to the soup.
- Pasta – For this recipe I used egg noodles because they are wide and perfect for soaking up the broth. You could use whatever pasta you like or make it homemade!
- Herbs and aromatics – I went with garlic, as well as fresh parsley and fresh rosemary to give the soup a delectable fragrance and flavor!
HOW TO MAKE THIS CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP RECIPE:
- Turn 6 quart Instant Pot to the high saute function. Once hot add the olive oil and onion. Cook until slightly softened. Then, add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Press cancel to stop saute.
- Add the whole chicken, broth, water, carrots and celery to the Instant Pot. Place the lid on the pot and turn to the locking position. Set the vent to the sealing position. Cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. Once cook time is complete, do a quick release being careful of the hot steam.
- Once all of the steam is released, open the lid and remove the chicken. Set the Instant Pot to its saute function and bring to a boil, then add the egg noodles, rosemary, and parsley. Boil until noodles are tender. Meanwhile, remove the bones and skin from the chicken and shred the meat. When the pasta is tender, stir the meat into the soup. Taste and season as needed.
TIPS AND VARIATIONS:
- Use whatever vegetables you like. I stuck with the standard chicken noodle soup vegetables for this recipe.
- Use whatever type of pasta you like. I like to make my own pasta but any store bought pasta will work well in this recipe.
- This soup freezes well. If you plan on freezing this soup, don’t add the noodles, as they can become mushy. If you want to freeze the soup, let it cool completely and pour into a freezer safe container. Freeze for 4-6 months. Thaw completely and reheat. If you left the noodles out reheat on the stove and cook the noodles until al dente.
- For extra flavor, stir in some Better than Boullion Chicken Base.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
While I do recommend using a full chicken to achieve maximum flavor, you could also just use chicken breasts or thighs.
If you want to make this soup gluten free, you could replace the noodles with rice, gluten free pasta or extra veggies.
Store this soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days or store in the freezer for 4-6 months.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH THIS SOUP:
- A simple side salad
- Spinach, Apple, and Pomegranate Salad
- Fresh Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits
- Beer Bread
- Pear Salad with Baked Goat Cheese
- Rosemary Parmesan Bread
Need a comforting bowl of chicken noodle soup? This Instant Pot (Pressure Cooker) Chicken Noodle Soup is easy to make and full of flavor. And thanks to the Instant Pot it's ready in a fraction of the time!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (3-4 pound) (1.3-1.8kg) whole chicken, giblets removed and discarded
- 4 cups (950ml) low sodium chicken stock/broth
- 4 cups (950ml) water
- 4 large carrots, peeled and diced (or sliced into rounds)
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 6 ounces (170g) egg noodles (or pasta of choice)
- 2 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
Turn 6 quart Instant Pot to high saute function. Once hot add oil and onion. Cook until slightly softened. Add garlic and cook stirring for 30 seconds. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Press cancel to stop saute.
Add whole chicken, chicken broth, water, carrots, and celery. Place lid on Instant Pot and turn to the locking position. Set the vent to sealing position. Cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. Do a quick release and be careful of the steam.
Open lid and remove the chicken. Set Instant Pot to high saute function and once boiling add egg noodles, rosemary, and parsley. Boil until noodles are tender. Meanwhile, remove the bones and skin from the chicken and shred or chop meat into chunks. When the pasta is tender stir the meat into the soup. Taste for salt and pepper and season accordingly.
- Time does not reflect the amount of time to pressure up or the time it takes for do a quick release.
- Sometimes if the soup is lacking some flavor I like to stir in some Better than Boullion Chicken Base.
- Use whatever vegetables you like. I just stuck with the standard chicken noodle soup vegetables for this post. If you are adding peas or corn add in towards the end of cooking the pasta.
- Use whatever type of pasta you like as well. I like to make my own pasta but any store bought pasta will work well in this recipe. Just cook until tender.
- This soup will freeze well. Just one tip on freezing this……don’t add the noodles because they can become mushy. I have frozen the soup with homemade noodles (mine are pretty thick cut) and it was ok, but that is my experience and I know others can experience things differently. If you want to freeze the soup let it cool completely and pour into a freezer safe container. Freeze for 4-6 months. Thaw completely and reheat. If you left the noodles out reheat on the stove and cook the noodles until al dente.
- Nutrition facts: Since different brands of ingredients have different nutritional information, the information shown is just an estimate.
What to serve with this Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup