These White Chicken Enchiladas are easy to make and extra delicious! Made with an easy sour cream sauce, cooked chicken, flour tortillas, and a handful of pantry staples these will become a family favorite!
These white chicken enchiladas are a family favorite and are based on my grandma’s recipe. Really the only thing I changed was I took out the condensed soup and made a homemade version.
My family loves easy to make comfort meals like this and one of our favorites is this American Goulash (another one of my grandma’s recipes!). But don’t forget about this Taco Pasta or this Homemade Ground Beef Taco Meat which can all be made and on your table in 30 minutes or less!
These White Chicken Enchiladas Are
- creamy and cheesy
- use pantry staples and are budget friendly
- flavorful and delicious
- great for sharing with loved ones in need of a comforting meal
Ingredients For Creamy Chicken Enchiladas
CHICKEN: This recipe is using already cooked chicken. A rotisserie chicken is great for this or you can cook chicken breasts in a little chicken broth and shred.
FLOUR TORTILLAS: This recipe uses flour tortillas but feel free to use corn if you prefer.
BUTTER, FLOUR, CHICKEN BROTH, SOUR CREAM, GREEN CHILES, ONION POWDER, AND GARLIC POWDER: These are the ingredients used to make the flavorful white sauce for the enchiladas.
CHEESE, SLICED OLIVES: My grandma always used both cheddar and monterey jack cheese. She also always used sliced olives in hers so I chose to keep them.
How To Make White Chicken Enchiladas
SAUCE: Start by melting the butter in a medium saucepan. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes. Whisk in the broth until smooth and cook until thickened. Stir in the sour cream, chiles, garlic powder, and onion powder.
FILLING: In a medium bowl combine the chicken, 1/2 of the cheeses, and olives.
ASSEMBLY: Fill each tortilla with the filling and place in a 9×13 baking dish. Pour the sauce over the enchiladas and top with the remaining cheese. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Store cool leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Freeze completely cooled enchiladas covered in a freezer-safe container or wrap in heavy-duty foil for up to 3 months. Another option is to freeze before baking. Assemble enchiladas as directed except leave off the sauce and cheese. Wrap tightly in heavy-duty foil and freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and top with sauce and cheese before baking.
Reheat in a 350 degree F oven for 25 minutes or until heated through. Can also reheat individual portions in the microwave but these tend to be soggier.
Tips And Suggestions
- To make gluten-free use corn tortillas and gluten-free all-purpose flour
- Make this dish spicier by using hotter green chiles or add cayenne pepper to the white sauce
- If you would like to make these ahead of time prep and assemble the enchiladas but don’t pour the sauce on. Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. Can also make the sauce ahead and store in the refrigerator. When ready to bake remove it from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before baking. Top with sauce and cheese and bake as directed. May need to add extra bake time.
I usually like to serve these with this Easy Spanish Rice and a big scoop of these Quick and Easy Refried Beans. You could also add a nice green salad as a side. And don’t forget the yummy toppings like Homemade Guacamole, sour cream, fresh cilantro, a squeeze of lime, or Homemade Pico de Gallo!
White Chicken Enchiladas
- 12 flour tortillas
- 4½ cups (560g) cooked shredded chicken
- 8 ounces (226g) shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces (226g) shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 (2.25 ounces) (63g) sliced olives, drained
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup (65g) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (475ml) chicken broth
- 1 (16 ounce) (453g) container sour cream
- 2 (4 ounce) (113g) cans chopped green chiles
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl combine the shredded chicken, ½ of the cheddar, ½ of the monterey jack, and the sliced olives. Fill each tortilla, roll up, and place in a 9×13 baking dish; set aside.
- In a medium sized sauce pan melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the chicken broth and cook until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream, green chiles, onion powder, and garlic powder. Pour over enchiladas and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.