These Apple Cinnamon Freezer Oatmeal Cups are a warm and hearty breakfast made in just a few minutes!!
I’m sure after reading the title you guys are wondering what are apple cinnamon freezer oatmeal cups. Well, they are going to be your best of friends this school year!!
These oatmeal cups are made in advance, froze in the muffin tin then stored in a freezer safe container or bag. Then are readily available to pop into the microwave whenever you need a quick, warm and hearty breakfast! GENIUS!!!! I can’t take all the credit because I saw the idea for these in a Better Homes and Garden Magazine.
There are so many flavor combinations you can do if you don’t care for this apple cinnamon version. Try replacing the apples and pecans with different frozen berries and almonds. Try using flaked coconut, bananas, nutmeg, mini chocolate chips……the sky is the limit here and let your creativity shine!
These days I need to be armed to the gills with quick, easy yet satisfying breakfast recipes and this one is definitely here to stay! It’s so easy the kids can even “make” their own breakfast in the morning.
They just place one or two of these cups into a bowl and microwave on high for 2-4 minutes depending on how many cups they have. Give it a quick stir, add in a little milk if they desire and that’s it!! They are so proud of themselves and this gives me extra time to get their lunches made.
We have also really been enjoying these ham and egg breakfast cups for the days we feel like something more savory. They are equally delicious and satisfying and take just 30 minutes to make.
Speaking of school, our kiddos started school on Tuesday and they were super excited. I tried taking a serious picture but they just couldn’t contain themselves so I decided to just roll with the punches and to be honest, I like this picture better than the serious ones. This year we have a 4th grader, 3rd, 1st and one in Kindergarten. My how time flies!!
Apple Cinnamon Freezer Oatmeal Cups
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups milk
- 2 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups chopped apples about 1 medium
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- In a large saucepan bring the water and milk to a boil. Stir in oats and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the remaining ingredients and let cool for 20 minutes. The oatmeal will thicken as it cools.
- Grease a 12 cup muffin tin and using a large ice cream scoop divide the oatmeal equally among the cups. Freeze for 6 hours or until firm. Let stand at room temperature for 5 minutes then transfer oatmeal cups to a freezer safe container or bag. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To make: Place one oatmeal cup in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 2 minutes or until heated through. Stir in a little milk to reach desired consistency. My kids eat 2 oatmeal cups which takes about 4 minutes to heat through.