This Cheesy Wild Rice with Mushrooms is a great side dish to pair with any type of meat- chicken, turkey, pork, beef and it would even go great with seafood. It is full of flavor from the Parmesan cheese, robust wild rice and sauteed mushrooms!
I LOVE THIS RICE!!!!!
This has to be one of the best rice side dishes ever!! I made this on a whim a while back because I needed to use up some leftover rice and needed a side dish to go with supper.
I was a little hesitant putting in the Parmesan cheese because I wasn’t sure how it would taste with the rice and mushrooms. My husband even asked if I was sure about what I was doing. You guys it totally made the dish!! It took it to a whole new level!!
I almost didn’t put it in but I really wanted cheese in my rice (don’t ask why, I blame it on the pregnancy cravings!) and it was the only cheese I had on hand. But I wouldn’t make it any other way now!!
We ate it with chicken but it would go great with any type of meat and it would be really awesome with some sauteed garlic shrimp!! Oh, I think I know what I am making for supper tonight. You could also probably eat it as a main dish as my 4 year old simply devoured it, asked for more and wanted nothing to do with the rest of her food.
This would also be a great side dish to go with your Thanksgiving turkey. Once the rice is fully cooked it comes together really quick. You could even cook the rice the day before and you would have this side dish done in like 10 minutes!
Cheesy Wild Rice with Mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups wild rice blend rinsed
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms I like baby portabella
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1-2 cloves garlic minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- In a medium to large sauce pan combine the rice and chicken broth. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 45 minutes or until rice is tender.
- In large skillet heat the olive oil and butter over medium to medium low heat. Add in the mushrooms and onions and cook for 5 minutes or until browned. Add in the rice and garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Taste for salt and pepper. Stir in the Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.