This Easy Apple Butter Apple Crisp is made with softly spiced tender apples, apple butter and a crunchy oat topping.
Apple crisp is just one of those desserts that screams fall to me and I made it even more fallish by using apple butter and pecans. I love apple crisp for two reasons- 1) it’s a really easy dessert to make and 2) it smells heavenly coming out of the oven! Ok 3) it tastes phenomenal with a scoop of ice cream!!
Actually, it’s pretty darn hard to beat cold ice cream melting over a bowl of softy spiced apples with a crunchy oat topping. Are you drooling yet, because I am!!
I chose to peel my apples for this crisp but if you don’t mind the peeling go ahead and leave it on. Just be sure to slice your apples thin so the skin can cook and become soft. Also, feel free to leave out the pecans if it just isn’t your thing and if you don’t have a cast iron skillet no problem just bake in a 9×9 baking pan.
In other news, my two younger brothers started new chapters in their lives. My older/younger brother started his new job and my youngest brother started his first year of college yesterday! We are so happy for both of them and wish them the best of luck!!
Easy Apple Butter Apple Crisp
- 5 cups peeled and thinly sliced tart apples
- 1 cup apple butter
- 3/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2/3 cup cold butter cubed
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 10 inch cast iron skillet, set aside.
- Spread sliced apples in prepared pan. Spread apple butter over the apples and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, pecans and cinnamon. Using a pastry blender or two knives cut in the cold butter until coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over the top of the apple butter. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Let stand 10-15 minutes before serving.