This chocolate Molten Lava Cake is a decadent special occasion dessert for two! It’s easy to make, requires no fancy ingredients, and yet makes an impressive treat!
This chocolate Molten Lava Cake is a super easy yet impressive dessert!! The recipe doesn’t require any fancy ingredients and yet it makes this stunning treat. Plus, the recipe can easily be cut in half to make only two cakes. Perfect for a special date night in!!
A great date night in menu could be a small cheese board for an appetizer, Cheese Ravioli in Mushroom Cream Sauce, Simple Roasted Green Beans, Garlic Cheddar Biscuits, and these molten lava cakes topped with ice cream and raspberries for dessert!
About this Molten Lava Cake:
- The batter can be made and stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Then remove from the refrigerator and let the batter come to room temperature before baking.
- Be sure to butter your ramekins well. Otherwise, I promise they will stick!
- Use a high quality chocolate for this dessert. It’s the key ingredient to making these taste well. And this recipe has only been tested using a high quality chocolate bar (such as Lindt or Ghirardelli) and not chocolate chips. Often times chocolate chips don’t melt well which will not give that nice molten center.
- Be sure not to overbake or you won’t have the molten center. I found 11 minutes to be perfect for my oven. You will want to look for the edges to be set but the center should look soft.
- This recipe makes 4 molten lava cakes but it can easily be cut in half to make 2.
I want to thank everyone who has taken my survey!! I will be choosing a winner tomorrow for the giveaway and I can’t wait to read everyone’s thoughts and opinions on how to make this a better place for everyone! So, if you haven’t taken the survey yet hurry and do so and enter for a chance to win a $50 Amazon gift card. Thanks guys!
This chocolate Molten Lava Cake is a decadent special occasion dessert for two! It's easy to make, requires no fancy ingredients, and yet makes an impressive treat!
- 6 ounces (170g) bittersweet chocolate or semi sweet chocolate (use a good quality chocolate)
- 1/2 cup (113g) butter
- 1/4 cup (30g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (45g) powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Lightly grease 4 ramekins with extra butter. Dust each with cocoa powder or flour; set aside. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (218 degrees C)
Chop the chocolate and place in a microwave safe bowl with the butter. Microwave in 20 second intervals, stirring well after each until smooth.
Add the remaining ingredients and stir well to combine. Spoon batter into prepared ramekins and place onto a baking sheet.
Bake for 10-13 minutes or just until the sides are set but the center looks soft. Allow to cool for 1 minute then invert onto a plate. Carefully remove the ramekin. Serve immediately with desired toppings: ice cream, fruit, whipped cream.
- Make ahead option: Prepare the batter and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Allow batter to come to room temperature before baking.
- This recipe was not tested with chocolate chips but a high quality chocolate bar such as Lindt or Ghirardelli.
- This recipe can easily be cut in half to make 2 lava cakes.
- Recipe adapted from Food and Wine.