This Mushroom and Blue Cheese Stuffed Flank Steak is the perfect meal for a small scaled party. It’s full of flavor, easy to prepare, and guaranteed to impress!
**Photos, text, and recipe updated December 2017**
You guys…..this mushroom and blue cheese stuffed flank steak is an easy recipe, I promise and it’s perfect for a small scaled party. It would be a great dinner for Christmas! And if you don’t like blue cheese, no worries swap it out for goat cheese. I’ll be honest I don’t like blue cheese at all but I don’t mind it in this stuffed flank steak! It’s not overpowering like blue cheese can so easily be but if you really don’t think you would like the blue cheese it’s just as good with goat cheese which is much milder.
Trust me on this when I say that this recipe is easy because it is!!
If you can pound out a flank steak, roll it up with some delicious ingredients and sear this in a pan, you can make this.
I wanted to make one more option for your Christmas dinner. I know this is the week of Christmas and most of you (if not all of you) already know what you are going to make, but just in case if someone is still searching for that perfect dinner—this is it!!!
All you need to do is use a meat hammer and pound your flank steak out to roughly a 10×13 size. Nothing too hard, if anything it’s stress relieving. Something we could all use this time of year! 🙂
Next, add your sauteed mushrooms, garlic and spinach and spread to an even layer. Sprinkle with the blue cheese and roll it up. Secure with toothpicks and sear in a hot pan. Toss this beauty in the oven and you’re on your way to one elegant meal. I also made a very, very simple red wine sauce to go with that I highly recommend you make.
About this Mushroom and Blue Cheese Stuffed Flank Steak:
- I don’t recommend cooking this until well done, the meat is too tough, in my opinion.
- Feel free to sub out the blue cheese for goat cheese if you prefer.
- This recipe is a very rich and filling meal, a little goes a long way, in my opinion. So, I think you could feed 6 adults with sides just fine.
- Christmas dinner menu option: Mushroom and Blue Cheese Stuffed Flank Steak, Spinach, Apple, and Pomegranate Salad, Skillet Garlic Green Beans, Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes, or Slow Cooker Baked Potatoes. Dessert options: Fruit Tray, Bread pudding or Easy Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting.
- 1 (2 pound) flank steak
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces (226g) mushrooms, chopped (I like baby portabella)
- 5 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups (60g) roughly chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup (60g) blue cheese crumbles
- 1 cup (240ml) beef broth or stock
- 3 tablespoons drippings from pan
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 3/4 cup red wine (choose a wine you like to drink)
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Place the flank steak on a large cutting board. Using a meat tenderizer, pound out to roughly a 10x13 size. Season with salt and pepper; set aside.
In a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium to medium low heat. Add mushrooms and cook 5-7 minutes or until browned. Add garlic and cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in spinach and remove from heat. Spread over seasoned beef. Sprinkle with cheese.
With the long side facing you carefully and tightly roll up flank steak. Secure with toothpicks. (Use plenty of toothpicks 🙂 )
In a large oven proof skillet heat the remaining butter and oil over high heat. When the oil starts to ripple carefully place the meat in and sear until lightly browned on all sides. About 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove from heat and add the beef broth. Bake for 25 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 145 degrees F (medium rare) or to your desired degree of doneness. Remove from pan and let rest 15 minutes before slicing.
Meanwhile, make the red wine sauce. In a medium saucepan add in drippings, broth and red wine. Bring to a boil and boil for 10 minutes or until reduced by half. Remove from heat and whisk in the butter. Season with salt and pepper. Serve over sliced meat.
- I used an inexpensive brand of blue cheese so it wasn't very strong. If you are using a more expensive brand you may want to cut back on the amount of cheese you use.
- If you don't like blue cheese at all feel free to use goat cheese.
- Christmas dinner menu option:
- Mushroom and Blue Cheese Stuffed Flank Steak, Spinach, Apple, and Pomegranate Salad, Skillet Garlic Green Beans, Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes, or Slow Cooker Baked Potatoes. Dessert options: Fruit Tray, Bread pudding or Easy Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting.