This is a very quick and easy Red Enchilada Sauce that’s perfect for all your recipes. It’s full of flavor without the complicated mess! You’ll never need to buy the canned version again!
Want to have a Mexican night in? Use this Red Enchilada Sauce with chicken or beef to make enchiladas! Or make these Cheese Enchiladas!
Just As Easy As the Cans From the Store!
Have you ever been in the middle of making a recipe and realize you are missing some of the key ingredients?? Like making enchiladas and you don’t have any enchilada sauce??
I am a pro at doing this. I don’t know why I don’t check my pantry first before I start making dinner and you would think I would learn my lesson after the millionth time. Oh well.
A lot of times I don’t have the convenient canned version of something on hand but I do have ingredients to make a homemade version. And you know what, most of the time the homemade version is so much better!
Homemade Just Tastes Better
I have been working on perfecting this enchilada sauce for a little while now. First off I didn’t want something that was too fussy otherwise it would be so much easier to use the canned version.
It also wanted good flavor and I accomplished this by using good spices and also toasting them to help bring out their flavor. I don’t recommend using the store brand chili powder as it doesn’t have much flavor.
Honestly, I won’t buy store bought red enchilada sauce again. This is that easy and we all like this recipe better than any canned version. It makes some killer cheese enchiladas!
Also, I am not claiming this to be an authentic enchilada sauce, just our family’s favorite. 🙂
This is a very quick and easy Red Enchilada Sauce that's perfect for all your recipes. It's full of flavor without the complicated mess! You'll never need to buy the canned version again!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2-3 tablespoons good chili powder (not the store brand)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- 1½ cups (355ml) vegetable broth/stock (can also use chicken broth/stock)
- 1 (8oz) (227g) can tomato sauce
In a small saucepan melt the butter over medium-low heat. While the butter is melting, in a small bowl combine the flour, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, oregano, and sugar.
When the butter has melted add whisk in the spice mixture and cook for 1-2 minutes to bring out the flavor of the spices. Whisk in the vegetable broth and tomato sauce and cook until thickened slightly. Should lightly coat the back of a spoon.
- It’s best to have everything measured out and ready to go before starting this recipe so nothing burns.
- Use this red enchilada sauce as you would any canned version.
- I am not claiming this to be an authentic enchilada sauce, just our family favorite.
- Nutrition Facts: Since different brands of ingredients have different nutritional information, the information shown is just an estimate. Nutrition information is for the entire batch of sauce.