This delicious Chicken Waldorf Salad is a twist on a classic! Made with crisp apples, juicy grapes, crunchy celery, and walnuts, all mixed with tender chicken and dressed in a creamy mayo dressing, this salad is simple and satisfying.
With the warmer weather finally here, it’s time for salad season. I added some cooked chicken to the original Waldorf salad recipe for extra protein and boom instant light and refreshing meal!
I love a good chicken salad and my favorite is the one my aunt Lori makes. I also really like this Asian Chicken Salad to help me get more greens in because I will be honest, lettuce salads are not my favorite!
Why I Love This Chicken Waldorf Salad:
- So easy to make and quick too! It takes only 10-15 minutes!
- It can be made in advance which makes it great for lunches.
- Delicious and nutritious
- Lightened up the dressing with a little greek yogurt. Still creamy and delicious but made a little lighter.
- Made with real ingredients that are always easy to find.
CHICKEN: Use whatever cooked chicken you like. Rotisserie chicken works great in this recipe too!
APPLES: Most use a tart granny smith apple but I am not adding any sweetener to this salad so I like to use a sweeter apple like a Fuji or Gala.
GRAPES: Red or green work great.
GREEN ONION: Totally optional but adds a lovely flavor.
MAYO, GREEK YOGURT, LEMON JUICE, SEASON SALT, PEPPER: All used to make the dressing. Greek yogurt lightens it up a bit, but you may use all may if you prefer.
GREENS: Use whatever greens you prefer such as bibb lettuce, spring mix, arugula, and the list goes on.
How-To Make Chicken Waldorf Salad:
This salad literally takes very little time to make if you have the chicken already cooked. All you need to do is chop the chicken, apples, grapes, celery, and onion. Place all ingredients in a large bowl and stir well to combine. It’s ready to serve now or later!
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to days.
Mix up the salad as directed but leave out the walnuts. Store in an airtight container for up to days. When ready to serve stir in the walnuts and serve on desired greens.
How To Serve:
BRUNCH: Serve on a bed of greens, on croissants, make into small sandwiches, stuff into a ripe tomato, or serve with crackers. Add fresh fruit and vegetables and drinks of choice such as Homemade Lemonade.
OUTDOOR EVENTS: Since this is a mayo-based salad it is suggested that it stay cold. If it is going to be sitting out for a while place in a large bowl of ice while serving. Be sure to keep it in a cooler and remove it just before serving.
Chicken Waldorf Salad
- 3 cups (455g) cooked chicken (about 2 large breasts)
- 1 large apple, chopped
- 1 cup (180g) grapes, halved
- 2-3 ribs celery, chopped
- ½ cup (60g) chopped walnuts
- 1-2 green onions, chopped
- ¾ cup (170g) mayonnaise
- ¼ cup (60g) greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- season salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl combine the chicken, apple, grapes, celery, walnuts, and onion. Add the mayonnaise, yogurt, and lemon juice. Stir well to combine. Taste and add season salt and pepper to taste.
- MAKE -AHEAD: Combine everything except the walnuts. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Stir in the walnuts just before serving.
- Great with candied walnuts!!