This Turkey Tetrazzini is a great way to use leftover turkey or chicken! It’s creamy, cheesy, hearty and oh so comforting!!
Here I go, planning Thanksgiving leftovers already! I’m not going to lie….. I like to make extra turkey just for the leftovers! There are so many options like this turkey tetrazzini. My kids and husband can’t get enough of this dish so I’m sure I will be putting it on the menu next week.
So, what are everyone’s plans for Thanksgiving??? The day after Thanksgiving?? Are you hosting Thanksgiving this year? If you are, be sure to check out my Thanksgiving Menu for Beginners because it’s loaded with information to help the day go smoothly. I will be hosting Thanksgiving at my house and I like having a plan in mind to help me get dinner out at a decent time. 🙂
As far as after Thanksgiving I haven’t even thought that far yet. Usually, my husband and I go out and get all of our Christmas shopping done which is so nice. BUT I don’t even have a list started, YIKES! I have got to get started on that one and soon!
About this Turkey Tetrazzini:
- You can also use leftover chicken or a rotisserie chicken is great here too.
- This can also be made in advance. Just assemble (minus the crumb topping), cover and store in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Uncover and top with breadcrumb topping, bake as usual. Freezer option: Assemble minus the crumb topping, cover well with plastic wrap and foil then freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw completely and top with breadcrumb topping just before baking.
- Serve this dish with a simple side salad or your favorite steamed green vegetable. These Garlic Cheddar Biscuits and Skillet Garlic Green Beans are also great with this.
- 8 ounces (227g) linguine or spaghetti, cooked
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 (8 oz) (226g) pkg baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup (45g) all purpose flour
- 2 cups (450ml) milk or half and half
- 1 1/2 cups (350ml) chicken broth or stock
- 3/4 cup (180ml) white wine
- 2 cups (190g) shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1/2 cup (60g) grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 cups (420g) shredded cooked turkey or chicken
- 1/3 cup (23g) panko breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup (55g) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Start cooking your pasta. Make breadcrumb topping and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- In a large oven-going skillet melt the butter over medium to medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook stirring occasionally until lightly browned. Add the onion and cook until tender. Add garlic and cook stirring for 1 minute.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the milk, broth, wine, salt, and pepper until smooth. Cook until thickened (about 3 minutes). Whisk in the cheeses until melted. Remove from heat and stir in the turkey and drained pasta. Top with reserved breadcrumb topping. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until bubbly and lightly browned.
- Make ahead: Prepare and assemble dish as directed without the breadcrumb topping. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Top with breadcrumb topping and bake as directed.
- Freezer option: Prepare and assemble dish as directed without the breadcrumb topping. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and/or foil and freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw completely before baking. Top with breadcrumb topping before baking and bake as directed.
- Serving options: serve this with a simple side salad, favorite steamed green vegetable or these Skillet Garlic Green Beans. These Garlic Cheddar Biscuits also pair well.