These Chicken Taco Bowls are an easy, healthy dinner or meal prep meal. Made with chicken, black beans, tomatoes, lettuce, cheese, and all the toppings!
I love easy and quick dinner options! And for those of you looking to cut back and enjoy some tasty, lighter meals, this one is perfect! There are lots of flavors and textures to satisfy, and you won’t spend hours making it either!
Another delicious quick meal we enjoy is Chicken Waldorf Salad, which can also be served lighter in lettuce cups instead of bread! This Tuscan Bean Soup is great for using pantry staples, and these Salmon Burgers we enjoy as quick make-ahead lunches!
Reasons To Make Chicken Taco Bowls:
- Perfect for make-ahead lunches.
- Quick, easy, and flavorful dinner!
- Use any topping you desire.
- Add rice to make the meal heartier.
- You can also use ground chicken in place of chicken breast or even ground turkey.
CHICKEN: I am using chicken breast in this recipe, but this can easily be adapted to use boneless, skinless chicken thighs, ground chicken, or even ground turkey.
TACO SEASONING: Use a homemade taco seasoning or your favorite store-bought blend. Using a premixed taco seasoning helps keep this meal quick.
LETTUCE: We love romaine lettuce, but this would also be great on your favorite mixed greens.
TOMATOES, AVOCADO, CORN, BLACK BEANS: these are all your standard taco add-ins. Feel free to make any substitutions you like!
TOPPINGS: Cheese, sour cream, salsa, cilantro, and so many more options! I like to mix the salsa and sour cream to use as a dressing in this salad.
How To Make Delicious Chicken Taco Bowls:
This is just a quick overview of the method for these chicken taco bowls. As always, specific measurements and step-by-step instructions are included in the printable recipe box at the bottom of the post.
CHICKEN: Cook the chicken strips in a large skillet with the taco seasoning and lime juice. Cook until the chicken is no longer pink. Set aside.
PREP THE REST OF THE INGREDIENTS: Chop your lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, and onion. Drain and rinse the black beans.
ASSEMBLY: I like to keep the components separate and let everyone assemble their own taco bowls. My kids really enjoy this!
How To Make This Meal Prep Ready?
If you would like to make this into a mason jar salad for an easy grab-and-go lunch, layer the ingredients in the following order in a large mason jar.
- Put the salsa and sour cream at the bottom. If you are using a Pico de Gallo put that at the bottom as well.
If you want avocado, I suggest adding that the morning you take your lunch to help prevent it from overbrowning. When making these jars, you want the wettest ingredients at the bottom.
Chicken Burrito Bowl Tips and Variations:
- Add cilantro rice for a heartier meal. Or even quinoa!
- Make it spicy by using a spicy taco seasoning, adding hot sauce or salsa, adding jalapeno peppers.
- Don’t have or like black beans? Pinto beans also taste great in this meal!
- Want rice but not the carbs? Try making cauliflower rice.
Chicken Taco Bowls
- 3 small chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- ½ lime, juiced
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 (15oz) (425g) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup (170 grams) cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 cup (140g) frozen corn (can also use canned)
- 1 cup (4oz) (115g) shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 green onions, chopped
- Toppings of choice: sour cream, salsa, avocodo….
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and sprinkle with taco seasoning and lime juice. Cook until chicken is no longer pink (around 5 minutes). Set aside.
- Assemble all the remaining ingredients in bowls or a large cutting board and allow everyone to make their own taco bowl. Add lettuce to the bottom of the bowl then top cooked chicken and desired toppings.
- NUTRITION: Nutrition is not calculated with any toppings.
- Read post for suggestions on how to make this into a mason jar salad.