I have made my own version of Chipotle’s Chicken Burrito Bowl. It may not be totally authentic but it is made with real, wholesome and everyday ingredients. And it is easy to make, no complicated things going on in this delicious bowl of goodness!
So, now our weather is back to being hot again!! We are in the mid and upper 80’s this weekend. Now, I realize that really isn’t HOT but when you have finally had some cooler weather, like the 60’s and 70’s, 85 just seems like more heat than I want.
I’m not quite sure what Mother Nature has in store for us this winter, but I do really wish she would make up her mind!
I was ready to bring out the sweaters, leggings and scarves.
Soups, stews and hearty comfort foods were sounding so good and warming.
But now that it is way too warm for soup I decided to make this easy Chicken Burrito Bowl. Don’t worry it is still very satisfying so don’t shy away from making it this winter!! It does require some marinating time so plan ahead.
Just like the burrito bowl you order, this can be made to suit your tastes. If you don’t like the onions or bell peppers just leave them out. Missing that green chili, just add in some of your favorite canned green chili.
I also wanted to create this dish because I have been craving all-the-mexican-foods lately. Which was also true in most of my other pregnancies. So, no new surprise there 🙂
And since I have pregnancy brain (it’s a real thing folks!) and can’t remember what goes into a chicken burrito bowl, I decided to call in an expert- my sister-in-law. She could probably tell you the whole menu by heart.
I texted her my situation and she responded back in I think 30 seconds with the full list of what goes into this bowl. Pretty impressive if you ask me.
I would have spent hours researching for the ingredient list!! So, a big thank you to her for making this dish possible and for satisfying my pregnancy craving!! 🙂
Chicken Burrito Bowl
- 3 large chicken breasts
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 1/2 package of taco seasoning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 1/2- 2 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 2 limes juiced
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- Burrito Bowl
- 6 cups chopped romaine
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can corn, drained
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 large bell pepper chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 avocado halved, seeded, peeled and diced
- 2 cups shredded colby jack cheese
- Sauce optional
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder or regular chili powder
- Combine the chicken ingredients in a plastic bag, seal and gently work it around in your hands to coat the chicken. Allow to marinade 4 hours to overnight.
- Cook the chicken on the grill or in a skillet until the internal temperature is 180 degrees F and the center is no longer pink.
- For the rice- bring the chicken broth to a boil and add in the rice. Cook according to package directions. After rice is done cooking stir in the lime juice and cilantro. (if you are using a minute type rice adjust your liquids as needed)
- In a medium bowl combine the beans, corn, tomatoes, bell pepper, onion and avocado.
- To assemble- Place 1 cup lettuce, about 1/2 cup of rice and desired amount of veggie mixture in a bowl. Top with 1/2 of a sliced chicken breast.
- For the sauce- In a small bowl (or use your blender if you want a smooth sauce) combine the ingredients then drizzle on top of your burrito bowl.