This Crispy Chicken Sandwich recipe is super simple. Using thin chicken breasts ensures quick cooking, making it perfect for a weeknight meal. Top with fresh lettuce, juicy tomato, and a delicious sauce for a family favorite!
If you need a super quick and easy meal that checks all the boxes, this is the one! Juicy chicken, topped with a flavorful chili mayo sauce and all the toppings. It’s perfect!
More of my favorite sandwiches are these Italian Grilled Cheese Sandwiches. They have been a family favorite forever! We also really like these Homemade Sloppy Joes for another quick and easy sandwich, and of course, it’s hard not to pass up a Classic Hamburger!
Why You Will Love This Crispy Chicken Sandwich:
- Fast and easy to make! I made the chicken breasts thinner so they cook up evenly and really fast.
- Flavorful and not boring thanks to the seasonings and special sauce.
- Made with easy-to-find and real ingredients.
BREADCRUMBS AND FLOUR: Used for dredging the chicken.
SEASONINGS: Onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and paprika. Used to season the flour coating and the mayo sauce.
EGG: Used to make the chicken wet so the flour coating will stick.
EXTRAS: Buns (we like to use a brioche bun!!), lettuce, tomato slices, and pickles.
How To Make This Simple Chicken Sandwich Recipe:
This is just a quick overview of the method for this chicken sandwich. As always, specific measurements and step-by-step instructions are included in the printable recipe box at the bottom of the post.
STEP 1: Mix the breadcrumbs, flour, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and paprika. Cut the chicken breasts in half horizontally and pound to an even thickness.
STEP 2: Mix the egg in a shallow dish with a tiny amount of water. Dip the chicken breast in egg wash and then in the flour mixture. Place in a hot pan with a small amount of oil.
STEP 3: Cook chicken for 3 minutes on each side or until golden. Drain chicken on a wire rack. Make sandwiches and enjoy!!
What Are The Best Toppings For A Chicken Sandwich?
We really like to use simple ingredients like crisp lettuce, tomato slices, and pickles. But other great options are onions, cheese slices of any flavor, BBQ sauce, mustard, or coleslaw.
Also, I think this sandwich tastes best on a brioche bun (just my personal taste) but would also be great on a potato bun or onion bun.
Do I Have To Cut The Chicken Breasts In Half?
No, you don’t need to do this step. I like to because it makes them cook up extra quickly, and this can all be done in advance, making this super easy to cook.
If you want to skip this step, be sure to still pound them into an even thickness. This step is important so they cook evenly.
Crispy Chicken Sandwich
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce
- 1 teaspoon of each: onion powder and garlic powder
- 2 large chicken breasts
- ½ cup (65g) breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of each: salt, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder
- 1 large egg
- EXTRAS: Buns, lettuce, tomato, pickle
- Combine the mayonnaise, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to taste; set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat with 3 tablespoons of oil.
- In a shallow dish, combine the breadcrumbs, flour, salt, paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder; set aside.
- In a separate shallow dish, whisk the egg with 1 tablespoon of water; set aside.
- Cut each chicken breast in half horizontally. Place a piece of plastic wrap over the breast and gently pound to an even thickness. Repeat for remaining halves. Dip each half into the egg wash, then into the flour mixture. Place into preheated skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden. Drain on a wire rack.
- Smear ½ tablespoon of the mayo sauce on the bottom of a bun and top with lettuce and tomato. Place chicken on top of tomato (can cut in half if too large for the bun) then top with pickles. Smear ½ tablespoon of mayo sauce on bun top and place on sandwich. Enjoy!
- Can cut and pound the chicken breasts in advance to make mealtime even quicker.
- NUTRITION: Nutrition doesn’t include the extras (bun, lettuce, tomato, and pickles.) Since different brands of ingredients have different nutritional information, the information shown is just an estimate. This website is not intended as nutritional advice, or a diet or health plan. Readers of this website are ultimately responsible for all decisions pertaining to their health.