This easy Skillet Lasagna Recipe tastes just like lasagna, only it’s so much simpler and quicker to make! This is a wonderful weeknight meal for when you’re craving classic comfort foods.
Skillet Lasagna Recipe: An easier way to make lasagna!
I don’t know about you, but I love a good one-pot meal. They are so easy to make and require fewer dishes. That’s a win-win for me!
This skillet lasagna recipe is a take on a traditional lasagna only much easier to make.
I love lasagna, but sometimes (okay, a lot of times) the thought of how long it takes to make holds me back from making it.
You have to boil the noodles, prepare the cheese mixture, and cook the meat mixture. Then comes the layering followed by a long cook time. Oy!
I’ve made several
After several tries, I finally got it right. The secret? You have to make sure to use the right amount of liquid. You don’t want to burn your easy skillet lasagna, but you also don’t want to turn it into a lasagna soup.
I tried out a few different types of noodles. The no-boil noodles were a no-go, but regular curly-edged lasagna noodles worked out great! I’m so happy with my lasagna skillet recipe that I knew I had to share it with you all.
If you are looking for a few other
Why You’ll Love This Cast Iron Skillet Lasagna
- Comes together a lot faster than traditional lasagna
- So easy to make!
- One-pot meal means minimal cleanup
- Perfect for weeknight dinner!
Key Ingredients to Make Skillet Lasagna
- ITALIAN SAUSAGE – Adds so much flavor to this dish! You can omit it if you’re vegetarian.
- TOMATOES – This Italian-inspired meal of course requires tomatoes for the sauce. You’ll need both crushed and diced.
- ONION AND GARLIC – For maximum flavor in the tomato sauce.
- CHICKEN BROTH – You could also use water or vegetable broth instead. Remember: liquid is key in skillet lasagna.
- LASAGNA SHEETS – I almost always have leftover lasagna sheets on hand. However, feel free to use any short pasta! You’ll need about 2 cups.
- SEASONINGS – For added flavor. I typically reach for an Italian seasoning mix, dried basil, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- CHEESE – I’m using 3 types of cheese: shredded mozzarella, Parmesan, and fresh ricotta.
- FRESH BASIL – An optional ingredient, but I love adding some sprigs of fresh basil on top of my easy skillet lasagna as a garnish.
Instructions to Make Easy Skillet Lasagna
COOK THE SAUSAGE: Add your Italian sausage to a cast iron skillet along with the diced onion. Cook until the sausage is browned and the onions are translucent. Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.
ADD THE OTHER INGREDIENTS: Next, pour in the crushed and diced tomatoes, chicken broth, and seasonings, and stir. Then, break up the lasagna noodles, add them to the sauce, and stir to combine. Press the noodles down into the sauce as much as you can.
COOK: Cover your cast iron skillet lasagna and allow it to simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the noodles are tender. If it starts to dry out, you can add in more broth or water.
FINISHING TOUCHES: Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella on top, then add your dollops of fresh ricotta. Allow the skillet lasagna to cook for about 5 more minutes before garnishing with a bit of Parmesan and fresh basil. Enjoy!
You sure can! You also don’t have to worry about pre-boiling the noodles before adding them to your cast iron skillet lasagna. They will cook up just fine in the sauce.
Absolutely! My lasagna skillet recipe is so versatile and easily customizable. Feel free to switch up the protein and use ground beef or ground turkey instead. You could also leave out the meat completely and replace it with sautéed veggies. Or, do a combination of both for a totally loaded lasagna skillet!
Yes! This cast iron skillet lasagna recipe is very freezer friendly. Simply allow it to cool completely, then transfer it to a freezer-safe container. When properly stored, it will keep for up 2 months. I recommend thawing it overnight before reheating it in a skillet.
Place any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. They will keep for about 4 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop!
What to Serve with Lasagna Skillet
- Garlic bread (obviously) or these Garlic Cheddar Biscuits
- Any simple side salad or this Simple Caesar Salad
- Any roasted vegetable like these Simple Roasted Green Beans
More Pasta Recipes To Try
- Taco Pasta
- One Pot Chicken Florentine Pasta
- Cheeseburger Pasta Skillet
- One Pot Italian Sausage Pasta
- Chicken Florentine Pasta Casserole
Thanks so much for reading! Let me know what you think about this easy skillet lasagna!
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram for all my latest updates!
This easy Skillet Lasagna Recipe tastes just like lasagna only it's so much simpler and quicker to make! This is a wonderful weeknight meal for when you're craving lasagna.
- 1 pound (500g) Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28oz)(793g) crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14.5oz)(411g) diced tomatoes
- ½-1 cup (235ml) chicken broth or water
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste
- 10 sheets lasagna noodles
- 1 cup (90g) shredded mozzarella
- Ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, and fresh basil for topping
In a large skillet brown the Italian sausage and onion until no longer pink and onions are translucent (about 5 minutes). Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
Add both cans of tomatoes, chicken broth, Italian seasoning, basil, salt, pepper, and red pepper. Break the lasagna noodles into smallish pieces and stir well to combine. Try to press the noodles into the sauce as much as possible.
Cover and simmer over medium low to low heat for 15-20 minutes or until noodles are tender. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. (May need to add more chicken broth or water during cooking depending on how well your lid seals)
Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella cheese and place large dollops of ricotta cheese on top of lasagna. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes to warm the ricotta through. Serve with grated Parmesan cheese and fresh basil if desired.
- Nutrition info- Since different brands of ingredients have different nutritional information, the information shown is just an estimate. Nutrition info NOT calculated with ricotta or Parmesan cheese.
What to serve with Skillet Lasagna
- garlic bread (obviously) or these Garlic Cheddar Biscuits
- any simple side salad or this Simple Caesar Salad
- any roasted vegetable like these Simple Roasted Green Beans
10 thoughts on “Skillet Lasagna Recipe”
Love this recipe. I did replace the ricotta cheese with cottage cheese as I did not have ricotta on hand. The cottage cheese worked well.
Thanks for sharing! And so glad you like it!
I love that you can make this quickly in a pan rather than having to bake it for an hour like traditional lasagna! Your pictures are so gorgeous, too!
Yes!! I am so lazy these days and looking for any way to make things faster, lol! Thank you!!
Some of the best meals are made in the skillet on the stove! This looks like something the entire family would love!
Made this the other night for supper and it was awesome! Can’t wait to make it again.
Thank you!! So glad you liked it!!
We love lasagna but the time involved makes it a special treat. Loved this quick and easy version on the stove!
I will do anything to make things go quicker!! Thanks!