Make this Homemade Limeade Recipe to serve at your next outdoor event. It’s so refreshing, easy to make, and perfect for sipping on hot summer days!
Quench your thirst and please your taste buds with this fresh limeade recipe! You’ll be amazed by how easy this homemade limeade is to make.
Keep reading and I will teach you all about my favorite summertime drink and answer common questions like: “What is limeade?” and “How much juice in one lime do you get?” Plus, you will learn how to make limeade like a pro!
Why You Will Love This Limeade Recipe
- It’s made with fresh lime juice and is bursting with flavor
- Easy to customize
- Made with homemade simple syrup
- Only 2 ingredients + ice & water
- Refreshing & delicious
What Is Limeade?
Limeade is a drink that is made with simple syrup and fresh lime juice, it’s tangy and sweet. It’s commonly served in the hot, summer months and can be customized with other fruits and alcohol.
Homemade Limeade Ingredients:
Limes: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not use the bottled lime juice…..it will ruin your homemade limeade, I promise! Honestly, I don’t know why that stuff exists because the fresh is so much better. I use this hand juicer, but if you prefer an electric one that is fine too.
Sugar: I find it easiest to make a simple syrup to dissolve the sugar. Other recipes just mix it with the water, which never works and some have you macerate the lemons and sugar together which is more work to me.
Water: I like to have the water and ice ready to go in a pitcher so it’s nice and cold. This is also important if you don’t want to wait for the simple syrup to cool. Otherwise, if you pour hot syrup into a pitcher it will break.
Best tips for buying and juicing limes:
- Choose limes that are bright green and have a slight shine to their skin.
- They should feel firm and heavy for their size. The heavier ones will give the most juice.
- Avoid limes that are pale green or turning yellow. This means they are maturing and losing their tartness as well as flavor. Also, avoid any that are shriveled or too soft because they have lost most of their juice.
- Warm the limes slightly either by microwaving them for 20-30 seconds or by placing them in warm water. This helps get the juices flowing so you have an easier time when making this fresh limeade recipe!
- After they are warm, roll the limes on the counter with the palm of your hand. This helps to soften the limes.
How To Make Limeade
Step 1: Prepare Simple Syrup
Begin by bringing 1 cup of water and sugar to a boil in a small saucepan. Dissolve sugar and remove from heat.
Step 2: Add To A Pitcher
Add water and ice to a pitcher. Add the fresh lime juice and homemade simple syrup. Stir well.
Step 3: Garnish & Serve
Garnish with slices of lime or other fruits. Serve and enjoy!
You should get around 2 tablespoons of lime juice from each lime. You’ll need around 8 limes + extra limes for garnishing.
This homemade limeade is easy to customize by adding fruit, sprigs of mint, or alcohol. Cherries, strawberries, lemon slices, and raspberries are all fruits that can be added and taste great.
To make it even more refreshing add 2-3 mint leaves to each glass or a few sprigs to the pitcher.
Additionally, you can add some rum, gin, vodka, tequila, or bourbon to the limeade to make it a cocktail. I recommend adding 4-6 ounces of your favorite liquor to the pitcher.
Yep, simply add all of the ingredients to a high powered blender and give it a whirl. Mix until the mixture is slushy and serve! Add more ice if needed.
So here’s a toast to beating the heat this summer with this refreshing fresh limeade recipe!
More Refreshing Beverages:
- 1 cup (235ml) fresh lime juice
- 1 cup (220g) sugar
- 3 cups (710ml) water
- 4 cups ice
- In a small saucepan bring the sugar and 1 cup of water to a boil to dissolve the sugar. Remove from heat. (This is your simple syrup)
- In a large pitcher place ice and 3 cups of water (depending on how strong you like it) Pour in the lime juice and simple syrup. Stir well. Garnish with lime slices if desired. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Nutrition Facts: Since different brands of ingredients have different nutritional information, the information shown is just an estimate.