This Easy Taco Soup is full of flavor, hearty, and perfect for any night of the week! Make it on the stovetop in 30 minutes or use your slow cooker and come home to a delicious meal!
*Originally published January 2016. Photos updated and video added*
This easy taco soup is a lifesaver! It can be made both on the stovetop and in the slow cooker.
So, maybe you are on your way home and don’t know what to make for dinner, but you do know it needs to be something quick!
Make this taco soup using the stove top version and dinner is on the table in under 30 minutes!
Or you can throw everything into the crockpot and come home to an amazing bowl of soup! Both are great options, and I often take the slow cooker route. 🙂
Some other great soups I have are Slow Cooker Spaghetti and Meatball Soup, Slow Cooker Chicken Sausage, and Shrimp Gumbo, and Creamy Cajun Potato Soup <-(my husband really enjoys this one and he’s not a soup fan either!)
Taco Soup made in the Crockpot
As I mentioned earlier, this soup can easily be made in a slow cooker. Just brown your meat, then dump everything in, cover, and cook on HIGH 4-6 hours or LOW 8 hours.
You can also place the ground beef in the crockpot raw. Just be sure to use lean ground beef.
Place ground beef in the slow cooker and break it up into medium/small chunks. Continue by adding the remaining ingredients and cook the same.
The texture of the meat will be softer than the meat that has been browned.
Quick and Easy Soup
Now, there are sooo many options for serving this wonderful bowl of goodness.
Top it with avocado, guacamole, sour cream, shredded cheese, cilantro, chips…… basically, anything you would top your tacos with you can put on top of this soup!
My kids are not soup fans, but they do like this soup.
Well, actually, in their words, “Mom, we don’t like it, we love it!”
I remember the first time they used that line on me.
They said the first half and then paused for a while, you know, for effect, then finished. Where do they learn these things? Little stinkers!!
Easy Taco Soup
- 1 pound (500g) lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups (946ml) beef or chicken broth or stock
- 1 (15 oz) (432g) corn, drained
- 1 (15 oz) (425g) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) (425g) chili beans in chili sauce
- 1 (28 oz) (793g) crushed tomatoes
- 1 (4 oz) (113g) chopped green chiles
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, onion powder, and garlic powder
- Salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste
STOVE TOP VERSION:
- In a large dutch oven or pot brown the ground beef and onions until meat is no longer pink. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients. Cover with lid and simmer for 15 minutes. Serve with toppings of choice. Can also be simmered longer if desired, just stir occasionally.
SLOW COOKER VERSION:
- Place raw ground beef in the bottom of the crockpot and break up into small chunks (or if you prefer you can brown it). Add in all other ingredients except toppings and stir together.
- Cover with lid and cook on high 4-6 hours or low 8-10 hours. Serve with desired toppings.
- Total time reflects stove top version.
- Freezer Friendly: Place in a freezer-safe container once cooled. Freeze for up to 2-3 months. Thaw and reheat as needed.
- Topping suggestions: sour cream, chopped cilantro, chopped onions, shredded cheddar, crushed tortilla chips, avocado…….
- Simple side salad
- Buttermilk Cornbread
- All the toppings!