This Easy Ground Beef and Broccoli is a super quick meal that’s full of flavor and sure to please! It’s faster, healthier, and cheaper than take-out!
Easy Ground Beef and Broccoli
Learning to cook good Chinese food has been something I’ve been working on for quite some time now. I don’t like all the preservatives used in many of the sauces used so I try making my own only to fail. They just don’t taste anything like what you order in the restaurant! However, I finally made one my family couldn’t get enough of, this Easy Ground Beef and Broccoli! I also love it because it’s made in 20 minutes!!
And I know, I know, it’s using ground beef which isn’t authentic at all. But steak (no matter what cut) is sacred around here! I have 8 kids to feed and steak is not on the regular menu rotation, lol! I thought I would take a chance posting this with ground beef hoping there are others out there looking to save a little moolah.
If the thought of using ground beef is preventing you from making this, don’t. Just use a flank steak instead. Slice it thin and cook it until there is just a little pink left then continue with the recipe as directed. Just don’t overcook the steak or it will be on the tough side. And another tip, cut it against the grain (it will help with tenderness).
Beef and Broccoli
But anyway I decided to use ground beef after I had several failed attempts using steak. It was becoming too expensive to keep testing this with steak and honestly, I may never make it with steak again. My kids loved it just the way it is and I’m not complaining. And here’s a little secret……I think it’s even easier this way! No slicing the steak which can be a little tricky to get evenly thick slices. (I did find a trick though. Slice when the steak is still slightly frozen!)
There’s also no worry about overcooking the meat. If you overcook the steak it’s going to be tough and chewy, no fun! And I decided to keep everything in one pot, no removing anything to cook something else. We are just cooking in stages and adding in ingredients as we go. The broccoli comes out tender crisp which is perfect for us. I HATE mushy veggies!
What to serve this Ground Beef and Broccoli with:
- 1 1/2 cup (354ml) water
- 1/4 cup (60ml) reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Sweet Cooking Rice Seasoning (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- hefty pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 pound (500g) ground beef
- 4-5 cups (200+g) broccoli florets (about 1 large head)
In a medium bowl whisk the water, soy sauce, rice seasoning, cornstarch, ginger, sesame oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Set aside.
Brown ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat until no longer pink. Drain any grease. Add broccoli and reserved soy sauce mixture. Stir and cook until thickened and broccoli is tender-crisp. (About 3-5 minutes)
- The Sweet Cooking Rice Seasoning is not the same as rice vinegar and cannot be substituted. It will alter the taste. I used Kikkoman Manjo Aji-Mirin Sweet Cooking Rice Seasoning. I found it in the Asian section of my local grocery store. If you can't find it you can substitute with dry sherry and add in 2 teaspoons of sugar.
- If the thought of using ground beef is preventing you from making this, don't. Just use a flank steak instead. Slice it thin and cook it until there is just a little pink left then continue with the recipe as directed. Just don't overcook the steak or it will be on the tough side. And another tip, cut it against the grain (it will help with tenderness).