Next time instead of reaching for that can try this homemade condensed cream of chicken soup instead! It’s made with simple ingredients, tastes so much better, and can replace the canned version perfectly!
I couldn’t make homemade condensed cream of mushroom soup without making a cream of chicken soup! And this version is just as good too!
These are great recipes to keep in your back pocket for when you are in need of a can but ran out, or if you are looking for a healthier version of those cream of x soups!
Reasons you will love this recipe
- You control the ingredients and the sodium
- It can easily be frozen so make a big batch!
- It replaces the canned version perfectly
- The taste is so much better because we are using real ingredients!
CHICKEN STOCK: To help lower the sodium be sure to use a reduced sodium stock. Also, use a brand you really like. I like the Imagine brand of broths/stocks.
CREAM: I like to use cream because it doesn’t curdle as easily plus it tastes so good in this soup!
CHICKEN BOUILLON: Adds so much flavor. Again to lower the sodium be sure to use a reduced sodium kind. I prefer to use the Better than Bouillon brand.
ONION POWDER and GARLIC POWDER
CHICKEN: This is just optional. If you have some leftover chicken on hand finely chop it and throw it in! If not that’s ok too!
MAKE THE ROUX: Start by melting the butter in a small saucepan. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. This helps get rid of the flour taste.
ADD REMAINING INGREDIENTS: Whisk in the remaining ingredients and cook until thickened. This soup will thicken a lot as it cools.
To make this soup gluten-free replace the flour with a cup for cup gluten-free flour.
Yes, I have made this with both half and half as well as whole milk. I don’t recommend reduced fat dairy as it can curdle in recipes easier. I have not tried making this with dairy alternatives.
You can store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw before using in your recipe.
Looking for more awesome recipes?
- Homemade Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Creamy Chicken Orzo
- Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuit Topping
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Pizza
- Easy Potatoes au Gratin
Next time instead of reaching for that can try this homemade cream of chicken soup instead! It's made with simple ingredients, tastes so much better, and can replace the canned version!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- ½ cup (120ml) reduced sodium chicken broth/stock
- ½ cup (120ml) heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon reduced sodium chicken bouillon
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup (30g) finely chopped cooked chicken, optional
In a small saucepan melt the butter over medium low heat. Once melted whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
Whisk in the chicken broth and cream then add in the remaining ingredients. Cook until thickened.
- Use this soup as you would 1 can of cream of chicken soup in any of your recipes.
- Soup thickens a lot as it cools.
- I prefer to use heavy cream because it doesn’t curdle as easily as reduced fat dairy does.
- This recipe is a low acid recipe and can’t be canned processed.
- If you would like to enjoy this as a soup mix this with 1 cup of water or milk.
- Remember this is a condensed soup so when you are tasting it, it will taste strong.
- MAKE AHEAD: Store cooled soup in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- FREEZER FRIENDLY: Store cooled soup in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw completely before using in recipes.
- GLUTEN-FREE: Replace the flour with a cup for cup gluten-free flour.
- NUTRITION: Nutrition is for the entire can of soup.