This Homemade Hot Fudge Sauce is rich, smooth, and decadent! It’s so easy to make and is the perfect topping for so many desserts! You will never need to buy the store bought stuff again!
Homemade Hot Fudge Sauce
Have you ever made your own hot fudge sauce? Well, if you haven’t you’re in for a treat. It is super easy to make and so much better than the store bought stuff.
Plus, you can pronounce everything that’s in it, lol!!
I always have a jar of this sitting in the back of my fridge ready to top ice cream or drizzle over desserts. It would be really good over this No-Churn Peppermint Cookie Ice Cream, Brownie Ice Cream Cake, or make a hot fudge sundae with a homemade brownie.
Ingredients for Homemade Hot Fudge Sauce
- Chocolate chips– I use bittersweet chocolate chips to make the sauce extra rich and indulgent. But feel free to use milk chocolate or semi-sweet.
- Evaporated milk– again makes it extra rich. I haven’t tried this recipe with anything other than evaporated milk. You can use low-fat evaporated milk if you wish.
- Sugar– I use 1/2 cup so it’s not too sweet and lets the chocolate flavor really shine.
- Butter– keeps the sauce from seizing, so yes, it’s a very important ingredient!
- Pinch of salt– salt is actually a very important ingredient in baking and helps bring out flavor so don’t skip it.
How to make Hot Fudge Sauce
- Combine the milk, chocolate chips, and sugar in a saucepan. Melt over medium to medium-low heat stirring constantly.
- Once it comes to a simmer remove from heat and stir in the butter, vanilla, and salt.
That’s all it takes! I told you it was easy!
Just a few notes about this hot fudge sauce.
- You can store it in the refrigerator for 3 weeks. Honestly, you can store it much longer. I have had a jar in the refrigerator for 6 weeks once with no problems.
- This makes great gifts to give to neighbors and friends. You could even create a gift basket and include: Salted Caramel Sauce, sprinkles, cherries, different candy bars for them to chop and add to ice cream, chopped nuts, Chocolate Chip Cookies, bowls, ice cream cones, and an ice cream scoop.
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram for all my latest updates!
This Homemade Hot Fudge Sauce is rich, smooth, and decadent! It's so easy to make and is the perfect topping for so many desserts! You will never need to buy the store bought stuff again!
- 1 (12oz) (354ml) can evaporated milk (not sweetened condensed)
- 2 cups (360g) bittersweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup (110g) granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of salt
In a medium saucepan combine the milk, chocolate chips, and sugar. Cook over medium to medium-low heat stirring constantly. Once it comes to a simmer, remove from heat.
Stir in butter, vanilla, and salt. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes. It will thicken as it cools.
Store in the refrigerator for 3-4 weeks. (I have stored it for 6 weeks with no issues). Reheat in the microwave in 30-second intervals until warm.
- This recipe makes about 3 cups of sauce.
- Nutrition Facts: Since different brands of ingredients have different nutritional information, the information shown is just an estimate. Nutrition not calculated with toppings.
9 thoughts on “Homemade Hot Fudge Sauce”
It seems to me the recipe is not complete. The instructions say to combine milk, chocolate chips & sugar; however there is no sugar listed in the ingredients. So not sure how the reviewers made it???
Thank you for pointing this out. I have been making updates to the blog but I have noticed all sorts of weird things happening and this is one of them. I added the sugar back into the ingredient list, thanks again!
The kids loved this for our ice cream sundae nights! It was super easy to make too!
We loved this! It’s the perfect topping for a big bowl of ice cream, thanks for sharing!
Love homemade recipes for items like this! I can think of a hundred ways to use this fudge in recipes.
Looks delicious!!! The baskets are a great idea!
You cannot beat homemade hot fudge! Delicious!
I totally agree!!