This Homemade Vodka Sauce is full of flavor and easy to make. It’s creamy, delicious, and restaurant quality. And it can be made in less than 30 minutes!
This vodka sauce will become one of your family favorites for sure! It’s extra easy to make and uses easy to find ingredients. But it tastes so decadent you won’t believe it!
You might be asking why vodka? Does it really add flavor to the sauce?? The vodka itself doesn’t add any flavor since the alcohol cooks off as the sauce simmers but instead it enhances the flavor of the tomatoes.
ONIONS AND GARLIC
BACON: I know, I know it is typically made vegetarian or with pancetta but I don’t buy pancetta so I use bacon. You do you and choose what fits your needs.
CRUSHED TOMATOES: If you can try to buy the San Marzano kind. They have less acidity and more sweetness. But if you can’t add a couple of pinches of sugar to the sauce.
RED PEPPER FLAKES: Add just a hint of spice. Add as little or as much as you like.
HEAVY CREAM: I don’t recommend substituting for lower fat dairy.
FRESH BASIL: While not totally necessary it does add a nice bright flavor!
How to Make Homemade Vodka Sauce
PASTA: You will want to cook your pasta while cooking the sauce so they are ready at the same time.
SAUTEE: Cook the bacon or prosciutto if using and the onion. Cook until the bacon is crispy and the onions are soft. Stir in the garlic.
SAUCE: Stir in the vodka and tomatoes and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Stir in the cream and cheese and heat through.
SERVE: Serve sauce over cooked pasta with the fresh basil and extra parmesan cheese if desired.
Yes, the sauce can be made up to 5 days in advance and stored in the refrigerator. Reheat on the stove, stirring occasionally.
Yes. Once cooled spoon into a freezer safe container and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw completely then reheat on the stove, stirring occasionally.
Yes, but then it wouldn’t be a vodka sauce. Just replace the vodka with pasta water. The sauce will taste differently.
Penne, ziti, fusilli or other short pastas. Also try over ravioli or tortellini for something different!
A simple side salad
Any steamed vegetable
Looking for some more great meal ideas?
- Homemade Hamburger Helper
- Spaghetti Aglio e Olio
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken
- Panzanella Salad with Mozzarella
- Molten Lava Cake
Homemade Vodka Sauce
- 5 strips bacon, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup (120ml) vodka
- 1 (28oz) (793g) can crushed tomatoes
- ¾ cup (175ml) heavy cream
- ½ cup (60g) grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pound cooked pasta for serving
- fresh basil, thinly sliced for serving
- Cook bacon and onion over medium heat in a large pot until bacon is crispy and onions are soft. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the vodka and tomatoes and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Stir in the cream and parmesan cheese. Heat through. Serve over cooked pasta and garnish with fresh basil.
- MAKE AHEAD: The sauce can be made up to 5 days in advance and stored in the refrigerator. Reheat on the stove, stirring occasionally.
- FREEZER FRIENDLY: Once cooled spoon into a freezer safe container and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw completely then reheat on the stove, stirring occasionally.
- SERVING SUGGESTION: A simple side salad
Any steamed vegetable