Looking for a way to use those beautiful garden tomatoes? These Marinated Tomatoes are flavorful from soaking in olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, and herbs. It makes a great summer side dish or salad!
If you have a bounty of tomatoes from your garden this year and are looking for something new to try, give these marinated tomatoes a go! This recipe even helps transform blah store bought tomatoes. Just a little warning…..they are addicting and you will be making them all the time.
Reasons You Should Make These Marinated Tomatoes:
- Super easy to make
- Doesn’t require any hard to find ingredients
- Only 6 ingredients
- Flavorful light salad perfect for warm nights
- Use any type of tomato
- Has many uses other than a salad or side dish
TOMATOES: Any type of tomato will work in this salad. We have used large slicing tomatoes such as beefsteak, romas, and even cherry tomatoes.
OIL and VINEGAR: Use a good quality extra virgin olive oil and we prefer red wine vinegar. It provides a zing without being overpowering.
ONION and GARLIC: Both add a lot of flavor and a little goes a long way in this recipe. If you find your onions too strong soak them in cold water for a bit before adding them to the salad.
HERBS, SALT, and PEPPER: We prefer fresh herbs for this recipe but dried work in a pinch. Our favorite is fresh parsley. And add the salt and pepper to your taste.
How To Make Marinated Tomatoes:
It’s pretty straight forward and easy to make. Slice, quarter, or halve your tomatoes (depending on what type of tomato you are using) and place in a bowl. Add the oil, vinegar, onion, garlic, herbs, salt and pepper.
Toss well to coat and let marinate 2-3 hours at room temperature or for 24 hours in the refrigerator. Let them come to room temperature before serving.
Tips and Suggestions:
- Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Try using balsamic vinegar or even champagne vinegar for a different flavor.
- Uses for these tomatoes:
- Add a slice to a sandwich, hamburger, or even grilled chicken sandwich
- Top a lettuce salad with these tomatoes and use the marinade as a dressing
- Eat alone as a light salad along with grilled chicken
- Use to make a pizza
- Chop the tomatoes smaller and use them and the marinade to make pasta
- Serve with a grilled cheese sandwich
More Great Fresh Tomato Recipes
- Panzanella Salad
- Grilled Corn Salad with Tomato and Avocado
- Tomato Cucumber and Avocado Salad
- Homemade Pico de Gallo
- 1½ pounds (680g) tomatoes
- ¼ cup (25g) thinly sliced red onion
- 1-2 small cloves of garlic, minced
- ¼ cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh herb of choice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Slice the tomatoes about ¼ inch thick. If using roma tomatoes, quarter and if using cherry tomatoes, halve. Add tomatoes to a bowl along with the remaining ingredients and toss well to coat.
- Allow to marinate at room temperature for 2-3 hours or cover and refrigerate for 24 hours. Taste is best when served at room temperature.
- STORAGE: Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.