This American Goulash is made in one pot, requires no fancy ingredients, and can be on your table in 30 minutes! It’s an old-fashioned comfort food staple that will bring smiles to your table!
I love a good comfort dish, especially when I have everything on hand! It’s so easy to make and I don’t have to worry about running to the store.
My family loves comforting dishes like this along with this Sheet Pan Parmesan Chicken and Veggies, this classic favorite Old Fashioned Meatloaf with mashed potatoes and green beans, or this super quick and easy Spaghetti Carbonara!
Why You Will Love This American Goulash Recipe
- Uses easy to find pantry staples like elbow noodles, canned tomatoes, onion, and ground beef
- Familiar comfort food you grew up eating
- All made in one pot so you won’t have extra dishes to wash
- Super quick meal made in 30 minutes or less
- Makes a large amount perfect for feeding a crowd or leftovers! (feel free to cut the recipe in 1/2 too!)
Ingredients You Will Need To Make One Pot Goulash:
PASTA: I like to use elbow noodles but any small pasta will work. I have also used egg noodles. I have not tried this recipe with gluten-free or whole wheat pasta.
GROUND BEEF: If you are looking to lighten up the dish be sure to use 90% lean ground beef.
CANNED TOMATOES: Both tomato sauce and diced tomatoes are used. Look for no salt or low sodium if that is a concern. My family also prefers using the petite diced tomatoes in this goulash.
ONION, GREEN BELL PEPPER, GARLIC: These all add a lot of flavor to this classic dish.
BEEF BROTH: This is the liquid that will cook the pasta. Look for low sodium to help control the amount of salt and you can use stock or broth.
WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE: Optional but adds nice flavor!
CHEDDAR CHEESE: You can’t have goulash without cheese! Please grate your own cheese for the best melting experience. Pre-shredded is coated with additives and can give a grainy texture.
How To Make This American Goulash Recipe:
BROWNING THE GROUND BEEF: Brown the ground beef with onion and green bell pepper. After browned stir in the garlic. Adding the garlic later in cooking helps ensure it doesn’t burn.
ADD THE REMAINING INGREDIENTS: Now it’s time to add everything except the shredded cheddar. Simmer over low heat and stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
ADD CHEESE: Stir in the shredded cheddar cheese and serve to your hungry people!
American Goulash is a one-pot meal that cooks quickly unlike Hungarian goulash which is more stew-like and cooks for a longer period of time. American goulash includes pasta simmered in a beefy tomato sauce and Hungarian doesn’t use pasta.
Store cooled goulash in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Warm on the stove top with a little extra broth stirring constantly until warm. Just a note- leftover goulash will not have the same consistency as freshly made. Can also reheat in the microwave.
Yes! Freeze completely cooled leftovers in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
Tips and Suggestions:
If you are looking to change up the dish try some of these ideas:
- Shredded carrot, shredded zucchini, diced celery, peas, or other veggies you may like.
- Add in different spices like red pepper or cayenne for some heat.
- Use different cheeses for different flavors as well!
- Stretch the meal even further by adding in some canned beans
Be sure to stir the pot often when cooking so the pasta doesn’t stick to the bottom.
To keep this meal a little healthier use lean ground beef or even ground turkey, low sodium broth, and low sodium tomatoes.
Goulash is a one-pot wonder that can be a stand alone dinner, especially if you add in extra veggies. It also is one of those dishes that easily pairs with multiple sides! Enjoy this with Simple Roasted Green Beans for a quick and easy side.
Or you can pair it with these Cornbread Muffins or Honey Wheat Rolls. Add some greens by whipping up a simple side salad or serve with this easy Tomato Cucumber and Avocado Salad.
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram for all my latest updates!
This American Goulash is made in one pot, requires no fancy ingredients, and can be on your table in 30 minutes! It's an old-fashioned comfort food staple that will bring smiles to your table!
- 2 pound (1000g) lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 large bell pepper, diced
- 2-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (14.5 oz) (411g) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz) (425g) can tomato sauce
- 4 cups (945ml) beef broth or stock
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound (454g) dry elbow pasta
- 16 ounces (455g) shredded cheddar
In a large stock pot brown the ground beef with the onion and green bell pepper until beef is no longer pink. Drain grease if needed. Stir in garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, worcestershire, and dry pasta. Add salt and pepper to taste. Simmer over medium-low heat until pasta is tender (about 10 minutes). Stir in the cheddar cheese and serve.
- STORAGE: Store cooled leftovers in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- FREEZER FRIENDLY: Store cooled leftovers in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
- REHEAT: Warm on the stove top with a little extra broth stirring constantly until warm. Just a note- leftover goulash will not have the same consistency as freshly made. Can also reheat in the microwave.
2 thoughts on “American Goulash”
One of my favorite meal. With winter coming it will probably be made quite often.
One of our favorites too!!