This Scotcheroo recipe is the only one you need. They’re soft, gooey, and chewy peanut butter rice Krispie treats that will bring back all your childhood memories! Easy to make and perfect for sharing.
I can remember eating scotcheroo bars when I was a kid. I think they were at every potluck, and I am pretty sure every kid ate one or two or three. They’re similar to rice krispie treats but with a yummy peanut butter butterscotch flavor and a yummy chocolate topping! Dare I say it…they’re just as good as brownies!
You may have noticed that this handheld treat goes by a few different names and spellings. They’re usually called scotcharoo bars or scotcheroos with an “e.” You’ll also sometimes see it called a scotacharoos recipe. No matter which way you say it or spell it, one thing that’s certain is that they are so yummy and addictive in the best way possible!
Why You’ll Love This Scotacharoos Recipe
- Only 7 ingredients and they are all easy to find!
- Chewy, crispy, and hard to resist
- Easy to make since they are a no-bake bar
- Perfect for taking to any picnic, potluck, holiday, or anytime you need a fun treat
- The combination of butterscotch, peanut butter, and chocolate gives these bars a slight Butterfinger-like flavor
Key Ingredients to Make This Scotcheroo Recipe
- CRISPY RICE CEREAL – To create your rice krispie-like treat!
- CORN SYRUP – Yes, this scotacharoos recipe uses corn syrup. There are other recipes out there that use honey, but I recommend sticking with corn syrup. It provides the glue to hold things together and that incredible chew. Honey just isn’t quite right.
- BROWN SUGAR – Adds sweetness and flavor.
- PEANUT BUTTER – Use creamy peanut butter. If you use natural peanut butter, be sure to stir it well before using it in this recipe, especially if the oil has separated.
- VANILLA – For a bit of warmth and earthy flavor.
- CHOCOLATE CHIPS – The addition of chocolate is a must for scotcharoos!
- BUTTERSCOTCH CHIPS – Remember how I mentioned that this dessert tastes like a Butterfinger? It’s mostly thanks to the butterscotch chips!
Instructions to Make Scotcharoos
RECIPE PREP: Start by preparing your pan by lining it with parchment paper or lightly greasing it. Pour the cereal into a very large bowl and set it aside.
HEAT THE WET INGREDIENTS: Add the corn syrup and brown sugar to a saucepan over medium heat and stir. Once the sugar has dissolved, remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the peanut butter and vanilla. Pour the mixture over the cereal and mix well to combine.
ASSEMBLE THE SCOTCHAROOS: Spoon the cereal mixture into the prepared pan and gently press it into an even layer. Set this aside. Melt the chocolate chips and butterscotch chips in a small saucepan over medium heat, being sure to stir constantly. Spread the melted chips over the bars and cool completely before slicing. Enjoy!
Tips For The Best Scotcharoo Bars
- Don’t overpack or press too firmly when pressing the cereal mixture into the pan. This will make the scotcheroos hard instead of chewy.
- Buy a new bag of butterscotch chips before making the topping. Butterscotch chips can be difficult to melt and older chips are even harder.
- Don’t overcook the corn syrup and sugar. Remove it from the heat once the sugar has dissolved.
- Store the scotcharoo bars at room temperature.
- Sprinkle the top with a little flaky sea salt before the chocolate layer has cooled if you like that sweet and salty factor!
Thanks to the addition of butterscotch chips! This scotacharoos recipe was originally created by Rice Krispies in the ’60s.
There could be 2 possible reasons. Either the corn syrup mixture was cooked too long or the cereal was packed too hard into the pan. To avoid this, make sure that you remove the corn syrup mixture from the heat as soon as the sugar has melted. And, don’t pack the cereal into the pan but use a light touch and gently press it into an even layer.
You can add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil to the chips while melting. I don’t recommend using any other type of oil to do this.
You can store leftover scotcharoo bars in an airtight container on the countertop or in the pantry. When properly stored, they will last for up to 3 days.
More Delicious Treats to Try!
- Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Brownie Ice Cream Cake
- Monster Cookies
- No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars
- Homemade Chewy Brownies
- 1 (12oz) (340g) box crispy rice cereal
- 2 cups (475ml) light corn syrup
- 2 cups (420g) packed brown sugar
- 2 cups (525g) creamy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 (11oz) (311g) package chocolate chips
- 1 (11oz) (311g) package butterscotch chips
- Grease a 9×13 baking pan with cooking spray or butter or line with parchment paper; set aside.
- Pour cereal into a very LARGE bowl; set aside.
- Combine corn syrup and sugar in a medium saucepan and cook over medium heat stirring frequently. Once the sugar has dissolved remove from heat. Stir in the peanut butter and vanilla. Pour over cereal and stir well to combine.
- Working quickly spoon cereal mixture into prepared pan and gently press into an even layer; set aside.
- In a small saucepan melt the chocolate chips and butterscotch chips. Spread over cereal bars and cool completely before cutting.
- STORAGE: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.