These Chewy Rice Krispie Treats are soft, chewy, and taste so much better than store bought!! Filled with extra marshmallows and a splash of vanilla make them extra special!
*Originally published May 2016. Recipe, text, and photos updated*
The best rice krispie treats are homemade!!
I know, I know, what’s the big deal about a rice krispie treat recipe??? Well, this one happens to be my favorite and I have changed it a little over the years so it was time for an update.
An easy treat both young and old will love!
The perfect rice krispie treats are soft and chewy. Not hard and hurt your mouth with every bite.
You know you’ve had one and a rock hard rice krispie treat is a total let down.
Most people take making rice krispie treats for granted and feel there is no possible way to mess up such an easy and basic recipe. Well, I’ve had some pretty bad treats in my time so this post is a must!!
If you’ve never made homemade rice krispie treats before or maybe yours lacks just a little something then be sure to save this one, it’s a keeper! People of all ages, both young and old, love a good homemade rice krispie treat!
Why do my rice crispy treats get hard?
There are a few reasons this can happen:
- You are using too high of heat when you are melting the marshmallows. Keep that heat on low and be patient. It really doesn’t take that much longer and I promise you will have nice soft and chewy treats.
- Your marshmallows are not fresh. Don’t use old mallows!! Just don’t!
- You are pressing the treats too hard into the pan. Press and form them until they hold their shape. If you are crushing the cereal you are probably pressing way too hard.
- You have to eat them quick enough. These don’t stay fresh for more than a few days. And no they do not need to be refrigerated!
Simple Homemade Rice Krispie Treats
Now, this is just a basic recipe so don’t be afraid to add in some extras like M&Ms, sprinkles, chocolate chips, cinnamon, or other candy.
Or maybe drizzle the top with a little melted chocolate!! YUM! So many possibilities!!
These Chewy Rice Krispie Treats are soft, chewy, and taste so much better than store bought!!
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 2 (10oz)(283g) bags mini marshmallows
- 8 cups (240g) crispy rice cereal
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼-½ teaspoon salt (yes, salt. Just do it)
Line a 9×13 baking pan with foil or parchment paper. Coat with extra butter; set aside.
In a large pot melt the 8 tablespoons butter over low heat. Stir in the marshmallows and continue stirring until most of the marshmallows are melted. (I like to leave plenty that aren’t fully melted for pockets of gooey marshmallow throughout the treats!)
Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and salt. Stir in the cereal until completely coated.
Spoon into prepared pan and with well-buttered hands press into an even layer. Let cool at least 30 minutes before cutting.
- Use fresh marshmallows only.
- Please melt over low heat only!!
- Don’t pack the cereal too hard into the pan. If you are crushing the cereal you are pressing too hard.
- To use marshmallow fluff substitute almost 3 (7.5oz) jars for the mini marshmallows. Heat on low with the butter and proceed with the recipe.
- Store at room temperature for no more than 3 days or they will start to become hard and dry. Do not refrigerate.
- If you want bigger pockets of marshmallow in your treats, reserve 2 cups of the marshmallows and stir them in with the cereal.
- Nutrition Facts: Since different brands of ingredients have different nutritional information, the information shown is just an estimate.