These Skillet Garlic Green Beans are a quick and simple side dish! Perfect for those busy times you need a healthy side dish fast!
I love making these skillet garlic green beans because they are so easy!! We probably eat this side dish the most in our house. My kids absolutely LOVE green beans and with the garlic, I can get my husband to eat a couple. That’s saying a lot because he absolutely hates green vegetables! These green beans can also be paired with pretty much any meal. Perfect!!
A few other side dishes we really enjoy are the Easiest Mashed Potatoes, Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing with salad, Roasted Parmesan Potatoes, and Easy Parmesan Risotto.
A few tips about these Skillet Garlic Green Beans:
- You can also use frozen green beans instead of fresh. Just thaw and drain the water. You also will not need to add the water specified in the recipe. Just cook the green beans until they are heated through then add the garlic, salt and pepper.
- Once you add the garlic, keep the green beans moving so the garlic doesn’t burn.
- I also like to squeeze some fresh lemon juice over the green beans after they are done cooking. A little chopped fresh parsley is great too!
- These are not cooked to mush or even soft. These green beans are still crunchy….like a tender crisp. If you like them soft use frozen green beans, thawed and drained. Or boil your fresh green beans for a few of minutes. Skip adding the water specified in the recipe.
These green beans will make a great side dish for Thanksgiving as well. Most of your oven space is being taken up by other dishes so why not use your stove top to whip up a couple of sides. And since these only take about 15 minutes to cook you don’t have to worry about them taking forever. Just make them close to serving time while the turkey is resting.
Watch our video on how to make these Skillet Garlic Green Beans:
These Skillet Garlic Green Beans are a quick and easy side dish. They go great with almost any meal and they are healthy!
- 1 pound (455g) fresh green beans, ends trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup (120ml) water
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat a large 12 inch skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add in olive oil and green beans. Cook 3 minutes or until they start to brown slightly, stirring frequently.
Add the water and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. (if your water cooks out too quickly just add a little more) Add the garlic, season with salt and pepper; cook for 2 minutes stirring constantly. Serve immediately.
- Read post for tips.
- To use frozen green beans: Thaw and drain water. Omit the water added during cooking and cook green beans until heated through. Continue with adding the garlic.
- I also like to squeeze a little lemon juice over the green beans after they have cooked. A little chopped fresh parsley is good too. Just to change it up a bit.
14 thoughts on “Skillet Garlic Green Beans”
Great idea – we loved them. I would probably cook for a little shorter time for more al dente beans.
So glad you liked them and thank you for sharing!!
Love this healthier recipe for green beans. I think I am going to need something like this after our family menu on Thanksgiving, lol.
Lol, I think we will too! 🙂
Yum! I never thought to add lemon, but I bet that tastes amazing!
I really like to add the lemon, just gives it a little something extra! Thanks!
There look great!!! Green beans are always our “go to” side for dinner!! I just love new and different varieties of them!! Thanks!!
They are always my go to as well! Thanks Julie!
Great Thanksgiving tip, cooking them while the turkey is resting. Thanks!
Simple yet delicious is always the best!
I agree!! 🙂
These green beans look perfect Malinda! This is one of my go to evening side dishes too. They just never fail. I love that your husband has to force them down, haha!
Lol, he literally gags when he has to eat any green vegetable. I’m slowly converting him though! 😉