Here is something different to start your day off—- Southwest Corn Cake Stacks.
I am always trying to come up with different savory breakfast ideas besides just eggs and potatoes. That is my husbands breakfast wish every morning. Eggs and potatoes. Boring!!!
He is strictly a savory person in the morning. If he does indulge me and eat the pancakes or waffles I made, he eats them without syrup. He just wants a couple of sunny side up eggs on top.
Otherwise, when it comes to breakfast he is Mr. Boring.
I made these Southwest Corn Cake Stacks a while back and he LOVED them. Finally, something a little different from the usual. And for an added bonus the kids liked them too! They have a mild taco flavor to them and I sprinkle his with cayenne pepper for some added heat. Great for you savory loving breakfast people!!
Now if you like something sweet with your morning coffee don’t worry I got ya covered. Try out this Strawberry and Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast, Lemon Ricotta Pancakes, Blueberry Yogurt Muffins or this Lemon Raspberry Coffee Cake.
Now, to get off of topic. This past week has been crazy!!! Between my computer and the internet I was about to pull out my hair!! I was using my husbands computer downstairs in between his work to post new recipes and it was working pretty good.
Then the internet was starting to act funny. You could get on for a little bit and then nothing. I called to see if the trouble was on our end or theirs and of course it was on ours.
They gave us a list of things we needed to try, most of which I had already done. None of them helped, so I would call back in everyday to try to get someone out here to fix the problem.
Finally, after 5 days of calling in they sent someone out. I think it is because my husband called in that time. Why is it that I can never be taken seriously, I even raised my voice and got huffy with her. None of it helped. My husband calls in and they are all “we will have someone out there right away, sir!” You’ve got to be kidding me. Next time he is calling first!!!!
So anyway, the line in our house was bad and it took them all day to figure it out. They had to cut all of the phone lines in the house. They couldn’t replace any of the lines upstairs for some reason and so our only working line is the one they put in downstairs by my husbands computer. UGH!!
Oh well, I guess at least it’s working now.
These Southwestern Corn Cake Stack will be a nice change of pace from your traditional breakfast!
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies
- 10 strips of bacon
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- eggs for poaching or frying
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and start to fry the bacon. Drain bacon on a paper towel.
- Heat a large griddle over medium to medium low heat and lightly grease.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, seasonings and salt. Stir in the milk, egg, butter honey and green chilies just until combined. Do not overmix!
- Drop about a 1/4-1/3 cup of batter onto the heated griddle. Cook until you start to see bubbles on top then flip to cook on the other side. Both sides should be a light golden brown.
- In the same pan you fried the bacon in, fry your eggs. Or you may poach them.
- To assemble stack 2 pancakes, 1-2 strips of bacon, some shredded cheddar and top with an egg. I also sprinkled with some cayenne pepper for some added heat.