Breakfast Enchiladas filled with scrambled eggs, sausage, green chilies and cheese! They’re perfect for a filling weekend breakfast, brunch, or even a weeknight dinner. Enjoy this delicious fusion between breakfast and Mexican food all wrapped up in a tortilla!
Why You’ll Love Loaded Breakfast Enchiladas
These breakfast enchiladas are killer! I am not a huge enchilada fan but these may have seriously changed my life. They’re loaded with softly scrambled eggs, juicy breakfast sausage, green chilies, and lots (and lots) of cheese!
I’m into a sweet breakfast as much as the next person, but there’s something to be said for a savory morning meal to set you up for a successful day (or is that just me?). These enchiladas are loaded with goodness so they would be great to serve at a brunch to change up the pace from the typical coffee cakes and donuts.
Just before baking these bad boys, smother them in a green chile sauce and even more cheese for ultimate flavor and texture heaven. Then, to go a step further, serve them with pico de gallo and you’ve got a hearty breakfast whipped up for your crew! Serve these enchiladas with a side of fruit and you may never look at other breakfast’s the same way again.
Ingredients for Breakfast Enchiladas
These enchiladas are loaded and the secret here is that you can load them up even more if you want. But wait, let’s not get ahead of ourselves.
You’re going to start with breakfast sausage (plant-based is fine too!), onions, garlic, eggs, green chilies, and Colby jack cheese. Those are the innards of this meal, but then you’re going to wrap it all in flour tortillas and smother it in green chile sauce (I like Stoke’s) and more cheese, of course.
Don’t stress too much about the ingredients, though! This is how my family became obsessed with breakfast enchiladas, but you can alter it to your family’s preferences too. For example, if the green chilies and chile sauce don’t sit right with you – omit them! You could swap the chile sauce for tomato sauce or taco sauce. And instead of chilies, add in some beans and corn! Make this dish your own and enjoy it!
Step 1: Preheat and Prep
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9×13 inch baking pan and set it aside.
Step 2: Cook Sausage
In a large skillet, brown your sausage, onion, and garlic, until the sausage is cooked through. Spoon this mixture into a bowl and then set it aside. In the same skillet, scramble your eggs. I like the softly scrambled, but cook them how you like them. Add the scrambled eggs to the bowl with the sausage and then stir in the green chilies and shredded cheese.
Step 3: Assemble Tortillas and Bake
Place a small amount of your mixture down the middle of a tortilla and roll it up tightly. Place the seam side down in your prepared pan, and then fill the remaining tortillas and place them seam side down until the pan is full. Pour the green chile sauce over the enchiladas, coating evenly, and then sprinkle with more cheese. Bake the dish uncovered for 25-30 minutes, or unit, the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbly.
I use flour tortillas because it’s my personal preference and they’re easier to roll, but corn tortillas are more traditional. Use whichever tortillas you enjoy the most!
You don’t have to – I don’t – but a lot of people do! Cooking them beforehand can make the flavor bloom a bit more, and some say it prevents the enchiladas from getting soggy. I haven’t had an issue with my breakfast enchiladas getting too soggy though.
You sure can! Just follow the steps and stop before pouring the chile sauce. Keep your rolled enchiladas covered in the fridge overnight, and then add the chile sauce and cheese when you’re ready to bake.
Hungry for More?
And here are a few more breakfast recipes I think you’ll love!
- Breakfast Burrito
- Twice Baked Breakfast Potatoes
- Hashbrown and Sausage Breakfast Pie
- Bean and Cheese Breakfast Tacos
- Freezer Breakfast Ham Egg and Cheese Sandwich
- Ham Cheddar Scones
- Slow Cooker Sausage and Potato Breakfast Casserole
Don’t forget to leave a star rating and review down below so I know how you liked this recipe!
- 1 pound bulk breakfast sausage
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 8 eggs beaten
- 1 (4 oz) can green chilies
- 4 cups shredded colby jack cheese
- 1 (15 oz) can green chile sauce (I like Stoke’s)
- 8 (12″) flour tortillas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9×13 inch baking pan, set aside.
- In a large skillet brown sausage, onion and garlic until suasage is no longer pink. Spoon into a bowl then set aside. In the same skillet scramble eggs. I like them softly scrambled but cook them how you like them. Add to the bowl with the sausage. Stir in the green chilies and 3 cups of shredded cheese.
- Place a small amount down the middle of a tortilla and roll up tightly. Place seam side down in prepared pan. Fill remaining tortillas and place seam side down in pan. Pour can of green chile sauce over the enchiladas and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly.
- Nutrition Facts- Since different brands of ingredients have different nutritional information, the information shown is just an estimate.