I love cooking with banana, as you guys can probably tell! I also love muffins! They make their appearance quite often on this little blog of mine.
Cooking with banana is a great way to add sweetness naturally, which allows you to cut out some of the refined sugar. I cut it out completely in these banana muffins with cream cheese swirl. Just honey and the natural sweetness from the bananas is all I used. If you prefer a sweeter muffin no worries just use regular sugar- about 1/2 cup will probably be fine.
I also used some whole wheat flour to add some more healthy goodness! Okay, I will stop now with the healthy talk now 🙂
So, on another note, these muffins are easy to whip up and only take 15 minutes to bake. They are moist and the cream cheese swirl adds a little extra touch to set them apart from the ordinary banana muffin. Enjoy them with breakfast or even just an afternoon snack topped with some peanut butter, mmmm, so good!
Banana Muffins with Cream Cheese Swirl
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 3 really ripe bananas mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1/4 cup honey
- 5 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- For the Swirl
- 4 oz. cream cheese softened
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line or grease a muffin tin and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the flours, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium bowl combine the bananas, eggs, buttermilk, honey and vanilla. Pour into the dry ingredients and stir just until everything is combined. Carefully scoop into prepared muffin tin.
- In a small bowl combine the softened cream cheese and the 2 tablespoons of honey. Drop by a heaping tablespoon on top of each muffin. Using a knife carefully swirl it into the batter but not completely. Bake for 15 minutes or until tops of muffins spring back when touched.