These healthy banana muffins are the perfect start to your day! Ripe bananas and honey are the only sweeteners in this recipe, and the muffins are made with whole wheat flour to give them a boost of nutrition. Add some cream cheese swirl to the batter before baking and you’ll wind up with the most moist and creamy banana muffins!
Why You’ll Love This Banana Muffin Recipe
I really love cooking with bananas because they’re naturally sweet and add tons of moisture to everything they touch! I was able to completely cut refined sugar from this recipe, as well as add more nutrition by using whole wheat flour. These banana muffins may be addictive, but at least you know they’re healthier than the average muffin!
To sweeten the deal for you, they’re so easy to whip up and they only take 15 minutes to bake! Plus, the cream cheese swirl adds a special touch that sets them apart from other muffin recipes. When you inevitably have a ton of bananas on hand because you love this recipe so much, here are a few more iterations of these muffins to try:
More Banana Muffins Recipes
Ingredients For Banana Muffins with Cream Cheese Swirl
These ingredients are so easy that you probably already have them in your kitchen! There’s no fuss or hidden junk in here – so you know exactly what you’re eating.
- Whole Wheat Flour
- All Purpose Flour
- Baking Soda
- Salt – a pinch
- Bananas – really ripe and mashed
- Butter – melted
- Honey – if you prefer a sweeter muffin, just use regular sweetener. You can swap the honey for ½ cup of sugar.
As for the cream cheese swirl, all you need is softened cream cheese and a couple of tablespoons of honey. Yum!
How To Make Healthy Banana Muffins
Step 1: Preheat and Prep
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line or grease your muffin tin and set it aside for later
Step 2: Combine Dry Ingredients
In a large bowl, mix the flours, baking soda, and salt together.
Step 3: Combine Wet Ingredients
In a separate medium-sized bowl, combine the bananas, eggs, buttermilk, honey, and vanilla. Then, pour this mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until everything is just combined. Carefully scoop the batter into your prepared muffin tin.
Step 4: Swirl and Bake
In a small bowl, combine the softened cream cheese and honey. Drop a heaping tablespoon on top of each muffin and use a knife to carefully swirl it into the batter – but not completely. Bake the banana muffins for 15 minutes, or until the tops spring back when touched.
More brown than they are yellow! You can also use over-ripe bananas just as long as they haven’t gone off and moldy.
Some people use yogurt or sour cream, but in this case, our moisture comes primarily from the bananas. Of course the buttermilk helps, but bananas are the star of the show in this recipe.
Allow your banana muffins to cool completely. You can then store them in an airtight container (or Ziploc bag) at room temperature. If you’d like, you can also add a paper towel to the container to absorb any excess moisture that seeps out from the muffins over time. You can enjoy them for up to 4 days, but keep in mind that the texture and moisture level will change as the muffins decrease in freshness.
More Banana Recipes To Try
- Banan Pecan Scones with Caramel Icing
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Homemade Banana Pudding Cups
- Banana Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Blondies
- Banana Fudge Cake
Banana Muffins with a Cream Cheese Swirl
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 3 really ripe bananas mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1/4 cup honey
- 5 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- For the Swirl
- 4 oz. cream cheese softened
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line or grease a muffin tin and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the flours, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium bowl combine the bananas, eggs, buttermilk, honey and vanilla. Pour into the dry ingredients and stir just until everything is combined. Carefully scoop into prepared muffin tin.
- In a small bowl combine the softened cream cheese and the 2 tablespoons of honey. Drop by a heaping tablespoon on top of each muffin. Using a knife carefully swirl it into the batter but not completely. Bake for 15 minutes or until tops of muffins spring back when touched.