This Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting is made with cocoa powder and 4 other simple ingredients! It’s smooth, creamy, and full of chocolate flavor!
This simple and easy to make frosting will be your new favorite! It’s easy to spread thanks to the cream cheese and would be the perfect match for a chocolate cake or classic yellow cake!
If you aren’t a fan of regular frosting then you really need to give a cream cheese frosting a try. My regular cream cheese frosting and this chocolate version are my husband’s favorites!
Reasons to love cream cheese frosting!
- they are silky smooth
- frosting a cake becomes so easy thanks to the cream cheese….it makes it spread so much easier
- it’s rich and creamy
- the tartness of the cream cheese cuts through the sweetness of any cake
- Cream Cheese: I prefer full fat. Please only use block style cream cheese for frosting. The cream cheese in the tub will not work for this recipe.
- Powdered Sugar
- Cocoa Powder
Tips for silky smooth frosting:
- Make sure your cream cheese and butter are at room temperature. If they are still cold they will cause lumps in your frosting.
- Look over your cocoa powder and powdered sugar to make sure there aren’t too many small lumps. If so run it through a sifter. This will prevent any small lumps of cocoa powder or powdered sugar in your frosting which can make it hard to pipe.
Bonus tip: If you are wanting to pipe your cream cheese frosting and it is a little too soft place the frosting in a piping bag and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
This Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting is made with cocoa powder and 4 other simple ingredients! It's smooth, creamy, and full of chocolate flavor!
- 1 (8oz)(226g) block style cream cheese; softened
- ½ cup (1 stick)(113g) butter; softened
- 4 cups (375g) powdered sugar
- ½ cup (40g) cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
In a large bowl using a hand held mixer or stand mixer beat on high speed the cream cheese and butter until smooth (about 1 minute).
Add remaining ingredients and beat medium until smooth and creamy. Taste and if it is a little to sweet add a pinch or 2 of salt and beat to combine.
- Storage and freezing: Cover and store the frosting in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Or freeze for up to 3 months. After completely thawed beat on high speed for a couple of minutes to make is smooth and creamy again.
- Makes about 3.5 cups of frosting. Enough for 24 cupcakes, 1-9×13 cake, 1-8″ or 9″ 2 layer cake. Extra frosting will be needed to decorate a layer cake.
- Nutrition Info: Nutrition is for the entire batch of frosting.