The smell and promise of Strawberry and Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast is going to get you out of bed in the morning, that’s for sure! It’s a super easy and super luxurious breakfast that will impress anyone, especially your kids!
Why We Love This Strawberry and Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast
When I made this for the first time, my kids asked “who’s coming over?” Breakfasts aren’t usually too fancy around here. Although we relish in a breakfast treat, we are a scrambled eggs and easy breakfast burrito family at our core. You can imagine that when I made this french toast they thought they were royalty!
To be honest, they were onto something because this dish tastes opulent. It’s certainly fit for royalty – but the secret is that it’s quite simple to make.
Sidenote: You have full permission to keep this information to yourself and let people think you worked that griddle like a culinary goddess. In fact, I encourage it!
Before you get cooking, heed one warning: The best way to eat these is with a fork, not like a sandwich. (My husband may or may not have insisted upon using his hands. It’s also very possible that to no one’s surprise, the result was quite messy and all over him. Definitely not the best way to impress your guests, but it hypothetically impressed the kids.)
Ingredients for Strawberry Cream Cheese French Toast
The core of any good french toast is the bread, and for this recipe, I highly suggest using a loaf of french bread. I used a multi-grain loaf, but plain or wheat will work just fine too.
In addition to your bread, you’ll need the ingredients for the cream cheese mixture which includes softened cream cheese (big surprise there), honey, lemon zest, vanilla, and sliced strawberries.
Like your regular everyday french toast, this recipe also requires eggs, milk, and maple syrup to drizzle on top!
How to Make Stuffed French Toast
Step 1: Prepare
Start by heating your griddle (or pan) to 350 degrees F, and cutting your french bread loaf into one-inch slices.
Step 2: Combine Cream Cheese Mixture
In a small bowl, combine the softened cream cheese, honey, lemon zest, and vanilla until it’s thoroughly combined.
Step 3: Compile “Sandwiches”
Smear a heaping tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture onto one side of two slices of bread. Top one of these slices with sliced strawberries, and then put the two pieces together like a sandwich. (The cream cheese sides should be sandwiching the strawberries.) Repeat this step until all of the sandwiches are made.
Step 4: Dip and Cook
In a shallow bowl or pie plate, beat the eggs and milk together. Dip each side of the sandwich in the egg wash. Be sure to not let it sit in the egg wash too long or your french toast will be soggy! Place a sandwich on the griddle and cook, flipping to ensure both sides are golden brown.
Serve immediately with maple syrup and enjoy!
You can make french toast with fresh bread, you just don’t want it to sit in the egg and milk mixture too long or it’ll get soggy. If you want the toast to soak up more of the custard mixture, let your bread get a little bit stale before you make your strawberry and cream cheese french toast! However, if you’re not feeling patient and your bread is fresh – don’t fret! Just cook and enjoy your french toast!
I use french bread, but you can also use something like challah or brioche and it’ll still taste wonderful.
Simply swap regular milk out for your milk of choice. Almond, hemp, soy, you name it and you can use it.
More French Toast Recipes
- Overnight Apple French Toast Bake
- Raspberry Cheesecake Stuffed French Toast
- Triple Berry French Toast Casserole
- Cinnamon Sugar French Toast Sticks
Additional Breakfast Treats to Try
- Try Slow Cooker Apple Cinnamon Breakfast Rice for a warm and nourishing breakfast alternative to porridge!
- Gingerbread Pancakes are such a yummy seasonal option – or just eat them year-round because they’re delicious!
- Strawberry Chocolate Chip Waffles pair the joy of chocolate-covered strawberries with waffles, what more could you need?
- There’s nothing better in autumn than Pumpkin Spice Pancakes, so give them a try!
Thanks so much for checking out this recipe for strawberry and cream cheese stuffed french toast! I hope you feel like royalty when you sit down to enjoy this meal with your friends and family!
Strawberry and Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast
- 1 loaf of french bread
- 2 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- maple syrup
- Heat a griddle to 350 degrees F.
- Cut the french bread loaf into 1″ slices.
- In a small bowl combine the cream cheese, honey, lemon zest and vanilla.
- Smear a heaping tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture on one side of a piece of bread then top with strawberries. Spread another heaping tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture on another slice of bread and place on top of the strawberries. Repeat until all of the sandwiches are made.
- In a shallow bowl, or pie plate, beat the eggs and milk. Dip each side of the sandwich in the egg wash (do not let it sit in the egg wash too long or you french toast will be soggy). Place on the griddle and cook each side until nice and golden brown. Serve immediately with maple syrup.