These meatless Bean and Cheese Breakfast Tacos are a great way to start the day! They are healthy, hearty, and delicious!
Bean and Cheese Breakfast Tacos
Welcome to A Christmas Festival Blog Hop! This week a huge group of amazingly creative bloggers will be sharing different Christmas themes…one theme for every day.
I’m honored to be participating in this year’s Christmas Blog Hop! If you’d like to see a complete list of what’s coming up this week, be sure to check the bottom of this post for details.
If your hopping over from Love In My Oven, thank you so much for stopping by!
I thought I would continue with my Christmas breakfast theme this week and bring these Bean and Cheese Breakfast Tacos!! They would be a wonderfully hearty and filling breakfast perfect to fuel your busy Christmas morning!!
Healthy Breakfast Recipe
These tacos are one of our favorite ways to use up some extra eggs. If you guys remember earlier this year we started raising chickens and they started giving us eggs in October.
Well, we are up to about 12-15 eggs a day and sometimes I have way too many eggs on my hands, breakfast for dinner anyone!
So, I decided I needed to get more creative with how I fed my crew scrambled eggs. They were getting pretty bored with plain old scrambled and fried eggs.
My whole family loves tacos, beans, and cheese so I thought why not add some eggs.
Actually, I can’t take full credit for this recipe, the inspiration actually came from a toy my daughter has. It plays a song and part of the lyrics are “put an egg on it.”
Just roll with me here, mkay, thanks. (I’m a mom of 8………. I have no adulting skills left)
Anyway, these tacos were born out of pure desperation to use up a carton of eggs and have now become part of my regular menu rotation.
About these Bean and Cheese Breakfast Tacos:
- I prefer to softly scramble my eggs and that’s what I provide in the instructions below but you do you and cook them how you like.
- You can make the refried bean portion in advance and keep in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- I really like to serve this topped with salsa but pico de gallo or guacamole are also great options.
- Serve this with any kind of cheese you like, cheddar, cotija, queso fresco, or monterey jack are all good choices.
- I usually serve this with fresh fruit on the side.
Now enough about these Bean and Cheese Breakfast Tacos go check out the next stop on this blog hop Curly Crafty Mom for some more fun recipes!!
Bean and Cheese Breakfast Tacos
- 1 (28 oz) (850g) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2-3/4 cup (120-180ml) water
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste
- 12 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2-3 tablespoons butter
- 12 corn or flour tortillas (6 inch size)
- Toppings of choice: shredded cheese, salsa, avocado, cilantro, hot sauce, pico de gallo, guacamole
- In a medium saucepan combine the beans, water, onion, garlic, cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Simmer over low heat for 5 minutes. Mash with a potato masher or the back of a spoon. These will not be super smooth beans. Continue to cook over low heat for 5-10 minutes or until they reach a spreading consistency. (Beans will also thicken slightly as they cool).
For the eggs:
- In a large skillet melt the butter over medium to medium-low heat. When the butter just starts to bubble add eggs. When eggs start to set around the edges gently fold with a heat-resistant rubber spatula. Continue to do this pausing briefly to allow the eggs to set. Eggs should be cooked through but still glossy and moist. Immediately remove from heat. (eggs will also continue to cook in the hot pan)
- Spread refried beans on a tortilla. Top with eggs and desired toppings.
- Make ahead tip: the refried beans may be made in advance and kept in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
- Serve this with fresh fruit on the side.