This Caramel Apple Cake is a wonderful dessert if you are looking for something light. It isn’t a really rich dessert like chocolate cake, so you can have a bigger piece! 🙂
Well, I have something to share with all of you……
Pause for effect……..
Wait for it………you all hate me now, I know it!
We are very happy to announce that Linnebur Baby #7 will be joining our family this March.
That is why I have been a little sparse on the blog lately. Morning sickness has sort of taken over my life.
I know most of you are thinking right now that I have to be the craziest person in the world, but we are very happy.
So here are a few of the specs for those of you who care to know, if not that is fine just scroll on down for the recipe 🙂
How far along am I?
I am almost 14 weeks so that makes me due the beginning of March. March 7th to be specific. And if things go like it has in the past I will have this baby early. Usually I am due in the middle of the month and go 3-4 weeks early but this one is a little different, so we will have to see what happens!
How have I been feeling?
Well from about 6 1/2 weeks on I have been fighting some morning sickness. It isn’t as bad as the morning sickness I had with my other girls but definitely worse than what I had with my son. So, based on that I am predicting we are having another girl. I do feel like I have more fatigue with this one though. For a while I was throwing up several times a day but it has lessened now. Now I am having more good days and less bad ones. Cooking has been a challenge for me. If I have to smell it for a long period (like 2+ hours) of time I get sick and I can’t eat the food. I can’t even smell it the next day as leftovers. I have learned to use our grill more and I have even put our crock pot out on the grill to cook food so I don’t have to smell it.
What foods am I craving?
As of right now I am not craving anything. In the beginning the only foods that would stay down where bagels, toast and french fries. Hello 5 pound weight gain already! I am getting better at stomaching other foods than starches. Watermelon has been a lifesaver. Also, carrots have started to sound good. Meat I pretty much just make myself eat. Dairy doesn’t settle on my stomach at all, which is probably the one thing I do sort of crave. Ahhhh a glass of milk sounds good! Sweets is something not on my radar at all! Which is a shame because it is fall baking time and I love those smells!!!! However, I did eat some of this cake and it tasted really good!! I think it is because it is on the lighter side and not so rich like a decadent piece of chocolate cake would be.
Boy or Girl???
As I mentioned earlier I think it is probably a girl just from the amount of sickness I have had. We are somewhat hoping for a boy, ok that’s a lie, we are really hoping for a boy. But we will gladly take another girl to add to our clan. My husband is going to be one busy father chasing away boys in a few years! 🙂 So, tell me your guess- boy or girl?? My husband told me if you say girl he is deleting your comment! Just kidding!
So, I do apologize for being so sporadic with my posts and I hope to get back into a steady routine soon.
Caramel Apple Cake
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 3 large eggs
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Caramel Apples:
- 6 cups chopped apples
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or 1/2 and 1/2
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 8 oz containers whipped topping
- 1/2 cup toffee bits
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9x13 inch baking pan, set aside.
- In a large bowl combine all cake ingredients and mix on low for 30 seconds, then on high for 3 minutes scraping the bowl occasionally.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Set aside to cool.
- Caramel Apples:
- While the cake is baking combine the chopped apples and butter in a large skillet and saute on medium low for 10 minutes or until they start to soften. Add in brown sugar, cream and salt. Cook on medium low stirring occasionally for 10 minutes or until apples are tender. Stir in vanilla and remove from heat. Cool for 15 minutes.
- Pour over baked cake and spread apples in an even layer. Cool completely.
- After cake has cooled top with whipped topping and toffee bits. Store in refrigerator.