This easy Creamy Taco Soup can be on your table in 30 minutes! It’s flavorful, hearty, and filled with easy to find pantry staples. And don’t forget to add all the toppings!
With winter still hovering over us for a while I have been making all the soups. There is just something special about a warm bowl of soup. It’s perfect for those really cold days when everyone is complaining and can’t seem to warm up.
Another favorite soup of ours is this Beef and Barley soup. It’s made in the instant pot and packed with flavor. Or try this Green Chile Stew for taco night. Serve with warm cornbread and a side salad!
Reasons You Will Want To Make Creamy Taco Soup
- Budget Friendly- it’s made with easy to find pantry staples that won’t break the bank!
- Can be made in 30 minutes!! YAY!
- Super easy to make and all in one pot.
- Makes great leftovers, so make extra.
- It’s also freezer friendly!
GROUND BEEF: Use lean ground beef or drain off the excess fat after browning.
ONION AND GARLIC: Add loads of flavor.
CANNED TOMATOES: Use diced tomatoes or petite diced.
CHILI BEANS: Use chili beans in chili sauce and don’t drain the beans.
CORN: Use canned, fresh, or frozen
CREAM CHEESE: This is what makes this soup extra creamy and delicious. Be sure to use soft cream cheese to make it easier to incorporate into the soup.
SPICES: Cumin, chili powder, oregano, onion powder, and garlic powder because it adds another layer of flavor.
How To Make Creamy Taco Soup
STEP 1: Start by browning the ground beef with the onion. Stir in the garlic.
STEP 2: Stir in the remaining ingredients except for the cream cheese. Let simmer for 15 minutes.
STEP 3: Stir in the cream cheese. It takes a little bit of stirring for it to incorporate but stick with it and you will be rewarded! Serve with all the taco toppings!
Yes, but leave out the cream cheese. Freeze completely cooled soup in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat gently on the stove top then stir in the soft cream cheese.
Store leftovers in the refrigerator covered for up to 5 days. Reheat gently on the stove top or in the microwave.
Tips and Suggestions:
- What to serve with creamy taco soup:
- Make it spicy by adding in cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, or diced jalapeno.
- Use ground turkey or chicken instead of ground beef.
Creamy Taco Soup
- 1 pound (500g) lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups (946ml) beef broth or stock
- 1 (15oz) (432g) can corn, drained
- 2 (15oz) (425g) cans chili beans in chili sauce (don't drain)
- 2 (14.5oz) (411g) petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (8oz) (226g) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (4oz) (113g) chopped green chiles
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, onion powder, and garlic powder
- In a large dutch oven or pot brown the ground beef and onions until meat is no longer pink. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients EXCEPT for cream cheese. Cover with lid and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the cream cheese. It will take a little bit for the cream cheese to incorporate. Serve with toppings of choice.
- Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- FREEZER FRIENDLY: If planning to freeze DO NOT add the cream cheese. Freeze completely cooled soup in freezer safe containers for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Reheat gently on the stove top then stir in the cream cheese.