Chile Con Queso Mac and Cheese is a great one pot meal for any night of the week! It’s quick and easy (only takes 30 minutes), cheesy, and will become a family favorite!
Chile Con Queso Mac and Cheese
I have been wanting to redo these pictures for a very long time now! I make this often (almost as much as Homemade Hamburger Helper!) and the pictures needed some help!! This is a great weeknight meal that’s made all in one pot and only takes 30 minutes to make!
I love easy dinner recipes with ground beef!
They are perfect for busy weeknights when you need something fast! Which is pretty much every night if you live in my house! Since it’s summer we have been living outside soaking up the rays before it gets too hot to be out and before I know it 7 o’clock hits and I need to feed my kids fast! You know…. when everyone is hangry and hanging on your shirt begging for food.
My kids also love this chile con queso mac and cheese so it makes for a peaceful dinner. Which is always a great way to end a busy day! Plus, it uses what I call pantry staples so it’s something I can make last minute (as long as I have ground beef thawed, lol!)
Can I freeze Chile Con Queso Mac and Cheese?
This does make a large batch of macaroni and cheese and it is great for leftovers the next day too. But if you don’t want to keep it in the fridge just place it in a freezer safe container and freeze for up to 2 months. Then just thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat as needed.
What to serve with Chile Con Queso Mac and Cheese?
- A simple side salad
- Tomato Cucumber and Avocado Salad
- A simple fruit salad or this Creamy Key Lime Fruit Salad
- I’m going to be really honest here- most of the time I don’t pair it with a side because I’m just happy I got dinner on the table!! 🙂
Chile Con Queso Mac and Cheese -is a great one pot meal for any night of the week! It's quick and easy (only takes 30 minutes), cheesy, and will become a family favorite!
- 1 pound (500g) lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, seeds and ribs removed and finely chopped (leave in seeds and ribs for more heat)
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound (454g) elbow or shell macaroni
- 2 cups (470ml) chicken broth
- 2 cups (470ml) milk
- 1 (14.5 oz) (411g) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups (220g) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups (220g) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup (120g) sour cream or plain yogurt
In a large dutch oven brown ground beef with onion and jalapenos. Add in garlic and cook until fragrant. Drain any excess grease.
Add in macaroni, broth, milk, tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until pasta is tender; stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat and stir in cheeses and sour cream. Store leftovers for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
- You can replace the jalapeno and can of diced tomatoes with a can of rotel (diced tomatoes and chiles) or use a can of green chiles to replace the jalapeno.
- Freezer Friendly option- can place in a freezer safe container and freeze for up to 2 months.
- Nutrition info calculated using regular sour cream.