Don’t buy that store-bought dip again; make this Homemade French Onion Dip instead! This sour cream onion dip is tangy, creamy, and oh-so-delicious!
Best French Onion Dip
With holidays, football games, and parties, it’s a good idea to have some incredible appetizer recipes on hand. This homemade French onion dip is one that everyone will rave about! This sour cream and onion dip really and truly is super easy to make and tastes so much better than the store-bought stuff. Plus, you can pronounce all the ingredients!!
I have several options for some great Super Bowl food in my appetizers section. Some of my most popular appetizers are my Pepperoni Pizza Sliders, Sheet Pan Chicken Fajita Nachos, Grilled Jalapeno Poppers, and Chicken Taquitos.
Why You’ll Love Homemade French Onion Dip Mix
- Only 35 minutes prep + chill time
- Creamy and super flavorful
- Only 10 ingredients
- It’s the best French onion dip recipe
- Great for parties
Sour Cream Onion Dip Ingredients
BUTTER: Adds flavor and makes it extra creamy. You can use salted butter, but you’ll want to cut back on added salt.
ONIONS: You can use any variety of onions, but white and yellow are going to be sweeter. Chop the onions finely.
CREAM CHEESE: It’s best to use softened cream cheese or you’ll end up with lumpy homemade French onion dip.
SOUR CREAM: Balances the flavors and texture of the sour cream and onion dip.
REAL MAYONNAISE: Please don’t substitute Miracle Whip for the mayo. You need the creamy flavor of the mayo (without the added sugar and seasonings) to make the sour cream onion dip taste right.
SEASONINGS: You’ll need a combination of salt, sugar, pepper, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder to create the best French onion dip.
How To Make Homemade French Onion Dip
COOK ONIONS: Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, salt, sugar, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, then reduce the heat and cook for 25 additional minutes. The onions will be golden brown.
PREPARE THE DIP: Mix the cream cheese, sour cream, and mayo in a medium-sized bowl. Fold in browned onions and sprinkle in garlic powder.
CHILL: Refrigerate the French onion dip mix for at least 4 hours, then serve and enjoy!
Sour Cream Onion Dip FAQs
It will last in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Keep it in a food storage container with a tight-fitting lid.
• Vegetables – Cucumbers, carrots, celery, bell peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, or anything else you like.
• Chips & Breads – Regular potato chips, pita chips, tortilla chips, crackers, pretzels, crostini, and breadsticks are all great options.
Homemade French Onion Dip
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2-3 small to medium sized onions, chopped (looking for about 2 1/2- 3 cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup real mayonnaise
- garlic powder to taste (optional)
- In a large skillet melt the butter over medium heat. Add onions, salt, sugar, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Cook stirring very frequently for about 5 minutes then reduce heat to low and cook for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. The onions should be nicely browned and golden.
- In a medium sized bowl combine the cream cheese, sour cream, and mayonnaise. Add browned onions and mix until well combined. Taste and add in garlic powder if needed. I added in 1/4 teaspoon. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.
- This recipe is adapted from Pinch Of Yum.
- I like to make this the day before so the flavors have a chance to combine.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- Serve with potato chips, cut veggies, and cubes of french bread.