Imagine coming home after a long day to the warm and comforting aroma of this Slow Cooker Chili. With tender chunks of beef, a hearty blend of spices, and a thick and savory sauce, this recipe is sure to satisfy your cravings. Plus, it’s incredibly easy to make – just let it simmer all day in your slow cooker and load it up with your favorite toppings for a delicious and personalized meal.
This Slow Cooker Chili recipe is a lifesaver for those hectic days when you don’t have much time to spend in the kitchen.
The preparation is effortless, and the result is a delicious and hearty meal that will satisfy your hunger and warm you up on a chilly night.
The key ingredient in this recipe is the beef, which is slowly cooked in a flavorful tomato-based sauce until it becomes tender and juicy.
Once the chili is cooked, you can serve it with various toppings, such as shredded cheese, sour cream, diced onions, or avocado, to make it even more delicious!
Key Ingredients In This Slow Cooker Chili
GROUND BEEF: I suggest using 85% or leaner ground beef. After browning, drain off excess grease before adding to the slow cooker.
BEEF BROTH: Use broth, stock, or bone broth. Bone broth will add deep, rich flavor plus the benefits of bone broth.
BEANS: I am using chili and black beans in this recipe. I like chili beans for their flavor, so don’t drain or rinse these!
CANNED TOMATOES: I like using two kinds of tomatoes. Crushed tomatoes give the soup loads of body and keeps the soup thick. Diced tomatoes add texture.
SPICES: Chili powder, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, and chipotle powder all add loads of flavor to the chili. The chipotle powder gives a nice subtle smokey flavor and a small kick. Add more to taste, or add cayenne pepper for more heat.
How To Make Crock Pot Chili
This slow cooker chili is so easy to make and the slow cooker simmers it all day long for you!
SAUTE: Brown the ground beef with the onion, garlic, and spices. I love adding the spices at this stage because it helps “wake” up the spices.
DUMP: Add everything to the slow cooker.
COOK: Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or HIGH for 4 hours.
You don’t have to but I find it adds another layer of flavor doing so. It also prevents the meat from having a weird texture.
You may need to add more seasonings to your taste but first try adding more salt. Salt enhances flavor.
Yes, freeze completely cooled chili in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
Tips and Suggestions:
- BEANS: You can swap out the beans for any bean you prefer. Just note that by taking away the chili beans, you will lose a little flavor, so you may want to add more chili powder.
- Use a can of diced tomatoes with green chilies for more flavor.
- Not all chili powders are equal! Some brands have better flavor than others.
- Be sure to brown the beef and not just steam the beef. Overcrowding your sautee pan will cause the beef to steam in the liquid rather than brown resulting in less than flavorful meat.
- Other things you may add to the chili when cooking: Bell pepper (add with the onion when browning), jalapeno pepper (add with the onion), 1 teaspoon cocoa powder (adds a depth of flavor).
What To Serve With Slow Cooker Chili
There are loads of toppings perfect for serving with chili! Things like diced onion, avocado, sour cream, cheese, corn chips, cilantro, or crackers. Try serving it with this Buttermilk Cornbread or even these yummy Cornbread Muffins.
Use it to make chili dogs! Top a hot dog with chili, shredded cheese, and diced onion for classic chili dog.
Try topping a baked potato with chili and any of the toppings listed above for a hearty comforting meal.
Easy Crock-Pot Chili
- 2 pounds (907g) ground beef 85% or leaner
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2½ tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin, onion powder, and garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 (28oz) (793g) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14.5oz) (411g) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (15oz) (425g) cans chili beans in chili sauce
- 1 (15oz) (425g) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1½ cups beef broth
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- Brown the ground beef in a large skillet with onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, and chipotle powder. Add to slow cooker along with remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours. Can cook on HIGH for 4 hours but best on LOW.
- STORAGE: Store cooled leftovers in a container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- FREEZER-FRIENDLY: Freeze completely cooled leftovers in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.