This Slow Cooker Bean Dip is super simple and a great appetizer for game day, New Year’s parties or any get together!
Does anyone have any special plans for tonight?
We usually keep it pretty low key around our house. Our kids are too young to stay up until midnight and quite frankly I have a hard time myself!!
I know, not very festive are we! I guess I would consider myself a grown up when it comes to staying up at night. My husband and I are usually sound asleep by 9- 9:30! So, bringing in the New Year can be a little challenging.
Do you have a hard time staying awake?? Please tell my someone else out there that is close to my age does!
I can’t possibly be the only one, right?!?! Part of it is my kids are up before sunrise and it doesn’t matter what time they go to bed! So, this mama needs her beauty sleep too!
One thing that might help me to stay awake is arming my counter with super yummy appetizers and snacks like this bean dip!
My husband is not a bean fan (like not at all!!) and he ate this, and he liked it! So, it’s a keeper in my books. Plus, it’s made in the slow cooker!! Just throw everything in but the cheese and let the slow cooker work its magic. You can even mash the beans right in your slow cooker!!! Top it with a hefty dose of cheese, put the lid back on to let it melt and you will have a pot of gold waiting to be devoured!
Slow Cooker Bean Dip
- 1 30 oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 1 4 oz can chopped green chilies
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup shredded Quesadilla Mexican Cheese Pepper Jack Cheese OR Monterey Jack Cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Chips and bread for dipping
- In a 4 quart slow cooker combine the beans, water, green chilies, onion, chili powder, oregano and cumin. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3 1/2 hours.
- Remove lid and smash the beans with a potato masher until desired consistency. (mine was a little chunky, which is how we like it) If you like it ultra smooth you may need to remove the bean dip from the slow cooker and use a food processor with a little water.
- Sprinkle with cheese and place lid back on to let the cheese melt. Turn off slow cooker and enjoy with chips and bread of choice.