One Pot Southwestern Chicken Macaroni and Cheese is a quick, easy and super delicious meal! It’s macaroni and cheese kicked up a notch.
I’m throwing another quick and easy one pot meal your way. Hope you don’t mind!
I would probably consider this a more grown up macaroni and cheese because it has a bit more going on than just cheese and pasta. First, I decided to add in some chicken to make it more of a meal. Then I spiced it up with various spices, green chilies and salsa. So, the heat of this dish is coming from what kind of salsa you choose.
Only one of my kids didn’t really care for this version of macaroni and cheese. She said it was too spicy, but to her– ketchup is too spicy.
You can customize this dish to your liking by changing the heat of your salsa, changing the type of cheese, and piling on your choice of toppings. We like tomatoes, cilantro, salsa (some of us) and a dollop of sour cream. If you would like to make this a spicier dish, use some pepper jack cheese in place of some of the cheddar, add in some chopped jalapenos and use a hot salsa.
Well, I’m keeping this post short and sweet this morning. We have a lot of unfinished projects that need tending to, so I better get to moving! 🙂 Hope you enjoy and have a wonderful weekend!!
One Pot Southwestern Chicken Macaroni and Cheese
- 2 small to medium sized boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/2 of a bell pepper
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 oz elbow macaroni or you can use shell pasta
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 4 oz can green chilies
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 oz cream cheese softened and cut into small chunks
- Toppings of choice
- In a large 12" skillet brown the chicken, onion, bell pepper and garlic in olive oil for about 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Add in the pasta, milk, broth, salsa, green chilies, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until pasta is tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheeses until melted. Top with desired toppings.