This Slow Cooker Lasagna aka Crockpot Lasagna is a great make-ahead meal! Layers of noodles, cheese, and meat sauce are all cooked in the crockpot, just set it and forget it! Tried and tested so you know it will work!
Time to dust off that crockpot because this is a meal your whole family will love. It’s easy to make, full of flavor, and will become a family favorite! I know instant pots and air fryers are still all the rage but I keep going back to my trusty slow cooker. I love being able to just let something cook and forget about it.
My family also really enjoys this Slow Cooker Pot Roast with the tender beef roast and flavorful vegetables. Also, this Hearty Beef Stew is a great slow cooker meal and we can never get enough of this Easy Taco Soup which can be made in the slow cooker or stovetop!
Reasons To Make This Slow Cooker Lasagna:
- Make-ahead friendly
- Made with un-cooked noodles that cook right in the slow cooker
- This recipe uses easy to find ingredients
- Spice it up by using a spicer sausage, if you prefer
- Set and forget about it for 4-6 hours
Ingredients For Crockpot Lasagna
ITALIAN SAUSAGE AND GROUND BEEF: I like to use both of these meats to give the sauce more flavor. Use lean ground beef and if you can’t find Italian sausage in bulk buy the sausage in casings and remove the casings before cooking.
PASTA SAUCE: We are using jarred pasta sauce for convenience. So use your favorite brand or splurge for a fancier brand to really amp up the flavor.
ITALIAN SEASONING: Added to the cheese mixture to add flavor while cooking.
RICOTTA CHEESE: I always use ricotta cheese when making lasagna because I feel it holds the layers a little better. You can use cottage cheese if you prefer.
MOZZARELLA AND PARMESAN CHEESE: Can’t have enough cheese in lasagna! I prefer to use whole milk mozzarella because it melts creamier.
LASAGNA NOODLES: Use regular lasagna noodles for this recipe and leave them un-cooked. They will cook in the slow cooker. Cooking them ahead will result in very mushy pasta. No Boil noodles aren’t great for this recipe either as they turned out mushy.
ONION AND GARLIC: Add flavor to the sauce.
How To Make Slow Cooker Lasagna With Ricotta
MEAT SAUCE: Start by browning the meat with the onion until the meat is no longer pink. Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in the pasta sauce.
CHEESE MIXTURE: Mix the ricotta, parmesan, mozzarella, eggs, and seasoning and set aside.
LASAGNA ASSEMBLY: Layer everything in the slow cooker, cover, and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours.
How To Layer Lasagna
This is how to layer this lasagna recipe:
- meat sauce – un-cooked noodles – meat sauce
- cheese mixture – un-cooked noodles – meat sauce
- cheese mixture – un-cooked noodles – meat sauce
- shredded mozzarella and parmesan cheese
Yes! Just assemble everything into the crockpot, cover with the lid, and place in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours before cooking. Remove from the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before placing it in the slow cooker to prevent the stoneware from cracking.
Place completely cooled lasagna in a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
Place leftovers on a baking sheet and cover. Bake at 350*F for 25 minutes or until heated through. Or place individual pieces in the microwave to reheat.
Store cooled leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Suggestions and Tips
- Use a crockpot liner or foil for easy clean-up. Otherwise lightly grease the crockpot before layering.
- As stated previously I don’t recommend using no-boil noodles in this recipe. They became too mushy in our opinion. Also, don’t cook your noodles ahead of time as they become too mushy when cooking. This recipe has not been tested with gluten-free noodles.
- I don’t recommend cooking this for longer than 6 hours. It can start to scorch.
- Please know how your crockpot cooks. Some brands cook hotter than others.
- This recipe is too large to fit in a slow cooker smaller than 6 quarts. You will need to cut the recipe in half.
Another great salad option is this Panzanella Salad with Mozzarella. Loaded with fresh tomatoes and bread to soak up all the yummy flavors!
Slow Cooker Lasagna
- 1 pound (500g) ground beef
- 1 pound (500g) Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (25 ounce) (720g) jars marinara sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) (425g) container ricotta cheese
- 4 cups (455g) shredded mozzarella cheese; divided
- 1¼ cups (130g) grated parmesan cheese; divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 10-11 lasagna noodles (un-cooked)
- Brown ground beef and sausage in a large skillet over medium heat with the onion until meat is no longer pink. Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in the pasta sauce, remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl combine the ricotta cheese, 2 cups mozzarella, 1 cup parmesan, eggs, and Italian seasoning.
- Lightly grease a 6-quart slow cooker. Spread 1½ cups of meat sauce in the bottom of slow cooker. Place 3 noodles on top breaking to fit. Top with ⅓ of the meat sauce.
- Top with ½ of the cheese mixture then 4 noodles breaking to fit. Top with meat sauce then the remaining cheese mixture. Top with 4 noodles breaking to fit. Top with remaining meat sauce. Sprinkle with remaining shredded mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
- MAKE-AHEAD: Layer everything in the slow cooker, cover, and place it in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. Remove at least 30 minutes before cooking.
- FREEZER-FRIENDLY: Place completely cooled leftovers in a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
- STORAGE: Store cooled leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Half this recipe if using a smaller crockpot.