This Homemade Chili Cheese Dip contains no processed cheese and no canned chili, just simple homemade goodness right in the slow cooker!!
I have made many, many attempts to make homemade chili cheese dip that wasn’t grainy and all weird without the use of *ahem* vvvvvelveeta and it never turns out right.
I found the magic ingredient- cream cheese. It helps to smooth everything out, make it creamy and the way a cheese dip should be. I don’t know why I didn’t think of it before but I am sure glad I did! Just in time to be put on the blog for all you people starting to plan your super bowl day menu. If you need a few other ideas for your game day menu try these Reuben Sliders, Individual Seven Layer Cups, or these Loaded Baked Potato Wedges. Or just check out my Appetizer section for other delicious options.
I also used the help from my crock pot to bring it all together. I just browned the meat and threw everything in the slow cooker and let it work it’s magic.
If you haven’t noticed lately I have been posting several crock pot recipes in a row. Never a bad thing right?!?
I didn’t think so.
Crock pot meals have been my life around these parts lately and no one seems to be complaining so I thought I would share the wealth!
So, just a little about this homemade chili cheese dip. You can use whatever meat your heart desires! I have made it with ground beef and sausage and we like them both. It would also be really good with chorizo and that would bring a little spice to the dip as well.
This is a very mild, kid friendly dip so if you are looking for a dip with some heat no problem! Just use the chili beans in hot chili sauce and use a hot salsa. You could even add in cayenne pepper for more heat. See plenty of options!
I used a sharp cheddar but if that’s not your thing you can sub in mild cheddar with no problem. Please, please, please grate your own cheese for this recipe because the store bought contains preservatives and anti-caking agents that can make for a grainy dip. Just thought I would let you know.
I did brown the meat ahead of time before adding it to the slow cooker because it has a short cook time. That is really the only pre-step in this recipe and everything else goes into the crock for a couple of hours. Serve with your favorite chips and hey why not throw some toppings on there, like extra cheese. 🙂
Homemade Chili Cheese Dip
- 1 pound lean ground beef pork sausage or chorizo (choose one)
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 15 oz can chili beans in chili sauce
- 1 1/2 cups salsa of choice
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 4 oz can chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar
- 4 oz cream cheese cubed and softened
- In a large skillet brown the meat with the onion until no longer pink. Sprinkle with the flour and stir well to combine. Add to the slow cooker along with the remaining ingredients. Stir well. Cover and cook on LOW for 2-3 hours. Stir occasionally. After cook time is over put slow cooker on warm setting.